Author Topic: Fokker E iii 1/144  (Read 3569 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Fokker E iii 1/144
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 11:04:08 PM »
    I am always amazed at the detail you "Small Scale" Modellers can get into your projects, the rigging on this one alone is mind boggling to my eyes!! Nicely done, and welcome to the Forum!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline 1/144_Nut

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 01:55:07 AM »
The rigging I found to be quite easy as at this scale I simply measure point to point with calipers then cut 0.05mm Kanthal wire to length, superglue either end. Doing anything like turnbuckles or through hole rigging would be wasted effort.

The real challenge was the spoked wheels, they are not even correct but 'representative' as the alternative idea of putting clear disc with scored spokes seemed like a cop-out. But I am happy with them.

The biggest challenge will be when I scratch build a Rumpler/Jeannin/Ertrich Taube ... The spokes and rigging on those are something else!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
Beautiful work, the soke wheels are great.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline NigelR

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Very nice work! I've made a few 1/144 WWI models, and I agree with your points regarding the appeal of 1/144. I have several of the SRAM kits and I would regard them as the starting point for a semi-scratchbuild rather than actual "full" kits. Rather like you did here in fact.

I would suggest using heat stretched sprue for rigging in this scale. You apply it just the same way as you used the wire but it is easier to get a scale look and you can also get it nice and taut if you apply a heat source close to it.

Do share more of your work as you build more of these little gems!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 03:26:51 AM »
Very nice work!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 06:56:46 AM »
Wonderful to see another 1/144 modeller - and what a brilliant start. The weathering and swirls on the cowling are as good as any I have seen on larger scale models. I like the spoked wheels too.

With reference to the Taube you are right about the rigging - I made an Etrich Taube in 1/72 scale som years ago and the rigging in that scale nearly drove me mad.... Looking forward to seeing more of your WW1 models in future.

Stephen.