Author Topic: Scratch build partial stripdown Vickers FB 5 Gunbus 1/32 scale  (Read 656 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Scratch build partial stripdown Vickers FB 5 Gunbus 1/32 scale
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 10:08:38 PM »
Nice progress.

Steve
I was clean,shaved and sober and I didnt care who knew it.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:58 AM »
Your work on the smash mold worked well! Looking excellent.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 01:19:49 AM »
 Stephen,
 Wow how did I miss this one? I'm looking forward to seeing more and following your latest project. Good luck and all the best my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 03:35:18 AM »
Evening All,

A big thank you to all of you whop have dropped by and left encouraging remarks - I really appreciate them especially as I am feeling well outside my comfort zone with this larger scale. I know that unless I have a challenge with my modelling I do not have too much enthusiasm, but this time I have taken on a major challenge and positive comments are extremely helpful.

This project is, I think, getting under way at last, but that does not mean that I will have all of the answers in future, so any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have completed the main parts of the fuselage frame at last: it took three attempts to get it right, but here it is as of now:

It is made from 3/64 in brass rod and plastic rod bracing which has been superglued into position: I originally tried brass tube and intended to use connectors, but found that there were so many pieces on some joints that I could not get the correct angles to the frame, so I gave up and used rod instead. For the benefit of those who do not have experience of building structures like this here is how I tackled mine. NB. I also use this method when constructing frames with plastic rod and cement.

I started by bending the nose of the floor around a piece of copper pipe - it just happened to be the right diameter (22mm). I then soldered the cross pieces to the sides of the frame. I placed the floor section on to a piece of balsa which I use to pin the brass pieces while I am soldering, and laid the pieces of one of the fuselage sides so that they aligned exactly with the floor, and then held the side pieces in place with pins. This means that the side will fit exactly later.

Remove the floor section and solder the joints of the side: the pins hold everything in place:

The image above shows that the side piece and floor section to align as required. Unfortunately these images are of my first attempt which I had to abandon later.... however the pinciple worked as shown by the results above of the third attempt show.

Having made the frame at last I then had to make a second fuselage shell in plastic as the first attempt was slightly too small. The marking on the outside are for later reference as they delineate the metal and fabric parts. I have also used Mr Surfacer to fill the marks from the wood mould on the underside of the shell.

I feel now that I can start to make the internal parts of the nacelle while I continue to make ribs for the wings.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
Spectacular work all around, Stephen!  From the vac molding, to the welded frame, this bears all marks of a masterpiece!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
Stephen,
    You've certainly eased into the soldering operation with ease, that's really impressive work! This project is looking like another very impressive model will result, and in my chosen scale!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline NigelR

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
Very impressive model engineering skills. This should be a superb model if you can keep up the momentum - it looks like a lot of work!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 01:35:56 AM »
Wow Stephen, that is impressive work! This one has the potential to be my Favorite of all of your Gorgeous scratch builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 03:46:43 AM »
Hi Stephen,
I've been away from this site for a long time it seems, mainly due to a) my last 2 projects were WWII, and b) I have relocated to Abu Dhabi for a new job and consequently haven't done any modeling at all for a few months!
 Have you thought about casting the wing ribs in resin? It really isn't that difficult, and you can guarantee they'll all be the same. If you can manage soldering, casting should be a piece of cake!
 I'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses, even though it's on the wrong scale! 😉

Ian

Online gbrivio

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
Very nice progress on this. I like these soldered frames.
Ciao
Giuseppe