Author Topic: Junkers D.1 + Aviattic Trailer + Diorama  (Read 12371 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Junkers D.1 + Aviattic Trailer + Diorama
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2018, 12:39:21 AM »
Been away for a while due to a minor op so catching up here. This is all looking really good, for someone that doesn't do figures I think you did pretty well! Figures in a diorama don't necessarily need to be "show" quality, they have to help tell the story and that figure looks pretty good.

Just one consideration for you - what is the story here? It now looks like a disassembled D.I in a factory rather than something on a captured airfield. How does the viewer know they are looking at a captured installation? It does seem a bit odd to have German ground crew apparently going about normal duties. The only thing that tells you it is a "captured" diorama is the RFC trailer and most people looking at this wouldn't know that.  So if you are sticking to the "captured" theme, maybe you could consider adding a couple of British figures, maybe representing a guard and even possibly an RFC officer/sergeant "overseeing" the German guy.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2018, 04:29:11 AM »
Thanks Manni,

That’s a fair point, but I’ve done the dusty bits on it now so maybe  tricky, but I will see what I can do.

Thanks Nigel, hope you’re recovering ok?

Yep, my theme has been fairly vague so far. Although I said it was a captured airfield, I think now it’s not. I probably should have had a more defined ‘story’ but I’m now claiming it’s a German factory near the front, but behind the lines to be a sort of maintenance base, (the RFC trailer is captured instead) so ‘Hans’ is safe! I’ve just ordered a workbench to add to the theme. I think when it’s finished it will tie together now. I was originally trying to cram too much in as I had all those nice extras from Aviattic, but I couldn’t get it to look right - I think less could be more in this diorama...

Anyway, I’ve nearly finished the base, with just placement and extras to consider.

Thanks

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline NigelR

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
That story makes more sense, I am glad that Hans is safe  ;)

The base is looking very good, my only comment would be to dirty the concrete up a bit, especially around the base of the wall (to make it look more part of the base) and also around the gates, as there would be more wear and dirt where vehicles go in and out.

Thanks for the kind words on my recovery, I am making progress and am able able to sit at the workbench for short periods, so hope to get on with some modelling.