Author Topic: The Pfalz D.III and DIIIa Thread...  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Monty

The Pfalz D.III and DIIIa Thread...
« on: May 28, 2018, 05:59:11 AM »
The Pfalz has always been a favourite subject on build threads, and this one is no attempt to reinvent the subject... This is merely a few different and hopefully of interest projects cluttering up my workbench... I don't have much other WW1 projects on the go (Except for the 1/24 DR1) so this is my sideline... And I can happily refer you to many other threads for better info and skills!

So firstly is the WNW D.IIIa, a truly wonderful kit, and this is how far I have progressed: I undercoated the engine in silver, assembled the cockpit and engine bearers and trial fitted it... To my surprise I couldn't get it to seat in the fuselage sides at all... No paint involved... I butchered the fuselage half locating slots, seen in the photo, and now I have a much better fit, it even sits more positively in the right place...

I haven't decided on a colour scheme yet, I'm still trying to confirm the colours of the sole example in Jasta 11...

Regards and Happy Modelling!

Marc

Offline RAGIII

Re: The Pfalz D.III and DIIIa Thread...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Marc,
Nice start on your Pfalz These earlier WNW kits do have their occasional issue and I am glad you got your seat to fit in place. As for the markings on the Jasta 11 bird the profile in the GvW book on von Richthofens Flying Circus, Albatros Productions, is a good starting point. As with all of these old photos several possibilities exist for the tail section.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
Nice...  looking forward to watching.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
Nice start, and I agree there can be fit problems with WNW. My Albatros DV framework would not allow the fuselage to close properly, I had to do a fair bit of excavating of some of the channels in the fuselage.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
I was going on memory when I made my last post. The " Band" on the rear fuselage is what I was referring to. Usually shown as black but could be red or another dark color. Personally I would go with black.
RAGIII

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 12:00:54 AM »
Nice to see you, Marc, working in parallel with me on Pfalz D.IIIa. Good luck and make a fine choice for the colour scheme.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Hi, Rick, Przemo, Nigel and Gaz, thank you for joining me on this journey! It promises to be fun and interesting, I hope I can keep pace with you, Przemo! But it's such a beautiful aircraft, I have to do my best!

But I have to confess a little confusion about Jasta 11 Pfalz DIII's and DIIIa's. And I do refer to that excellent tome by Greg VanWyngarden published by Ray Rimmell as von Richthofen's Flying Circus: There are two photographs, 129 and 130 (page 48) of the (?) same Pfalz DIII 1369/17 that has a dark coloured band around the rear fuselage with an overall Silbergrau colour scheme with (?) red struts and nose and undercarriage, but the fuselage band colour is unknown, and note this is a DIII for sure... Pfalzes were rare in Jasta 11 and I'm not sure of any other photos... so this DIIIa profile comes as a surprise: It has been done many times, all the same, and as for the colour scheme I'm not sure what it's based on:

I picked this image as there is no obvious copyright and it has been reproduced numerous times, but I will remove it if there are any problems at all.
The only reference I can get for this scheme is the written line in the above mentioned reference: (Italics mine:) At least one Jasta 11 pilot is recorded as having flown a Pfalz DIIIa; Leutnant von Linsingen crashed D.IIIa 4223/17 on January 24 1918 and was hospitalized. (Presumably 4223/17 was a wreck!). I suspect that these profiles are reconstructions and not based on photographs: I would really love to see some photographic proof! Does anyone have any other info? I would be most grateful!
Regards,
Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:55 AM »
I am on a roll as far as confusing things here. So now for the DIIIa. I have NO Photos in any of my books that show this aircraft. The profile looks to show what one would consider Standard Jasta 11 markings with no personal markings added. I do not have the latest Albatros books on the Pfalz at war so can not say if there are any photos in those volumes. If I get a chance I will do a search on the Drome and see if his aircraft has been mentioned there.
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
Rick, Monty,
     I searched the two latest Pfalz at War volumes this morning and couldn't find anything there. As you say Rick, the Profile appears to represent the common Jasta 11 marking scheme.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 05:50:01 AM »
Thank You, Rick and Lance! Your references are obviously more detailed and extensive than mine and you do indeed confirm my suspicion that this profile is based on some guess work. I'm not averse to this, but I just wanted to know. Even Ray has done profiles based on pilots recollections, and that can, at times, be quite inaccurate too! But I will look around for another colour schemes and let you know... The build proceeds! Regards, Marc.