Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50682 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
Catching up again Lance and from your last post you will only see this when you return with your award for the best in show for the AEG! That is a superb model in every way - and an equally superb build log.

Stephen.

Stephen,
    I got back from the Show several hours ago and, thankfully, no damage done in transit, the "Beast" is miraculously safe  in the cabinet. Despite my whining about it being too large to fit the cabinet space available I discovered that I had at least 1/8 of an inch clearance! I'll do some photos for the Completed Models section in the next few days, the model garnered a Gold Award in Class and a Special Award for "Best WWI Aircraft in Show". More details to follow and I hope to contribute a brief report on the Show as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
Great progress, it's almost completed and is a real beauty. And a huge one.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline aliluke

« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2018, 04:16:29 PM »
Congratulations Lance!!! Worth the packing and the drive for those two awards!

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
Congrats Lance on the well deserved awards! Glad to hear it fits in the display case. I am looking forward to seeing the completed model photos.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
Wow, Lance!  Not sure I wanna put a biplane upside down.

The "Magic Third Hand" in action Gaz, one of my favorite tools and a great help with the rigging process. I must admit this model is about as large as you'd want to be twisting around like this ...........
Cheers,
Lance

Lance, Mate...  I hafta know:  What cement or glue did you use to attach the struts?  And did you pin them?

Thank you,

Gaz

Gaz,
  For the lower strut fittings I used  I used a "5 Minute Epoxy" sold under the name "Lepage Speed Set Epoxy" here in Canada. It gives plenty of time for adjustment as opposed to the CA I normally use. It's the common two part format, mix and apply and starts to set in approximately five minutes. Pinning was not required. The top fittings were done with extra thin CA.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:39:33 PM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »
What a fantastic build over all, Lance. I am deeply impressed by the way you managed to glue in all the struts and by your choice of colors and shades.
Andreas

Andreas,
    Thank you! The interplane and cabane struts were a very simple task due to the Kit's superb engineering; they aligned very well when inserted and glued into the lower wing and fuselage (for the cabanes) with the upper wing dry fitted on the struts for final alignment. Once the bottoms were dry I "wicked" extra thin CA on the tops of the struts and the job was complete.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
Good luck Lance!

Others might know but what is "the third hand"?

Cheers,
Alistair

Alistair,
     This link may be dated however the product is well described in the video here:

https://www.facebook.com/Kronos-Designs-1556299394599528/?fref=ts

I'm not certain it's still available and it's a bit pricey now however it is an OUTSTANDING addition to your Bench, I would be lost without it when it comes to rigging for example. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second one to have in the event mine breaks down. I got in touch with the dealer and ordered by phone on the link phone number provided. Please let me know how it works out if you pursue it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #307 on: June 12, 2018, 12:11:26 AM »
Fantastic build Lance. Congrats on a well deserved award also. Wish I could have gotten down there for the show.
James

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #308 on: June 12, 2018, 04:19:30 AM »
Congratulations on the awards Lance. Sorry I only predicted ne...should have known better!

Stephen.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #309 on: June 12, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
Excellent work Lance! This has been a delight to follow. Glad it fits in the cabinet!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
James,
     Wish you could have made it as well, thanks for your comments. Ian, Stephen, thanks for your very nice comments as well, they are very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2018, 01:07:37 AM »
    I just finished a Completed Models with photos Post on this subject.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9640.0

Cheers,
Lance