Author Topic: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.1  (Read 6722 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.1
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:17 PM »
Continuing to be a fantastic build. What you are doing with this Old kit is outstanding.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
Thanks again for the encouragement everyone - it's greatly appreciated.  I'm still waiting for this kit to show its teeth - assuming it has any, I suppose they will appear when I am attaching the wings to the fuselage and trying to align them.  That's a job I'm hoping to do in the next few days - watch this space!

Here are a couple more photos of the cockpit before installation in the fuselage.  Details of what's from the kit and what I changed are as follows:

- the seat frame, cockpit floor and rudder pedals are kit stock - a bit chunky but otherwise accurate.  I had to fill a couple of nasty ejection pin holes on the floor ahead of the foot skids, for which I used my usual filler of superglue. 

- The aileron control horn on the floor just behind the rudder pedals (with the still-loose Ez Line attached to it) is from Copper State Models' dedicated photo-etched set for the 1/28 Revell Dr.1.  This is a useful aftermarket set, even if I won't up using most of it.

- The rudder control lines running from the pedals to beneath the seat are made from EZ Line held in place by 1mm x .05mm tubing from Bob's Buckles.

- The bent tubing/framework running vertically up from the rudder pedal bar is a leftover part from my WNW 1/32 Fe.2b that I adapted to approximately the right shape.

- The spent ammo bin which I've impaled on this tube (not technically correct, in reality the tube does not go through the bins but I needed a method to securely mount the bins in the cockpit) is from the 1/32 Roden/Encore Dr.1 kit.  (I don't need them for my Roden build because I'm using photo-etched replacements from Part which are much better.)  The data tables on the bin have been lifted from the Encore photo-etched set - I'll worry about replacements when I build the Roden kit....

- The control column has been heavily modified from the kit original with spare bits of photo-etch, lead wire etc, using original Dr.1 columns and technical drawings as a guide.  The photos of the control column from Richthofen's machine on the Australian War Memorial website were particularly useful.  I wish I had taken better photos of the finished column, as I'm really pleased with the result.

- The compass is a combination of the (surprisingly good) equivalent part from the Hobbycraft 1/32 Dr.1, attached to the bottom half of the Revell compass and with the compass face added from the Encore set.

- The seat belts are from Tom's Modelworks' generic WW1 German aircraft interior set.  There are some buckles that I've left off because I wasn't convinced I could add them without smearing glue everywhere, but I think they look ok as they are.

- As previously mentioned, the screen behind the seat is made from scrap plastic, with elastic thread used for the stitching and the usual combo of EZ Line and Bob's Buckles loops and tubing for the cross-bracing.

That's about it for now.  Next step is to install all of this in the fuselage halves.   ;D

cheers Brad

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 11:13:00 PM »
I must repeat that your cockpit is Beautifully rendered! As for the wings it has been a while but I do not remember any major vices  8)
RAGIII

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 10:41:31 PM »
Thanks Rick - it's the first lot of serious scratch building I've done, and I'm pleased with how it's turned out so far.

Time now to turn my attention to the wings.  I wasn't convinced by the original surface detail (first picture below) so I sanded most of this off and added replacement rib tape decals from HGW.  These were a joy to use, and the detail is excellent, especially under paint.  Series of photos follows which hopefully shows this.

cheers Brad

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
More rib tape decal pictures/details.  The painted wing has only had one coat - it looks even better under two!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »
The re done rib detail looks outstanding! You are showing me some things I can do to the Hobby Craft version of this kit I have in the stash!

RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:12 AM »
Absolutely amazing!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
Aye, those rib tapes really notch up the interest factor on the wing!

Nicely done!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »
 Brad,
Outstanding update my friend. Your rib tapes are very impressive. One question for you though what scale are the HWG tapes? At any rate Well Done and keep up the high excellence.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2018, 11:19:15 PM »
Hi Greg, the rib tapes are 1/48.  I had read somewhere that HGW's 1/32 tapes were a little over scale and that the 1/48 ones would look good on a 1/32 kit.  Having used them I tend to agree - although I am definitely trying things on this build that I wouldn't do with a WNW kit that I wanted to do a really good job on.  I just figure that it's a pretty good test bed for experimenting with improvement techniques, and I'm having a lot of fun doing so!

Anyway here are the lower and middle wings after a wash and some matt varnish.  The decals on the lower wing are from Hobbycraft's 'Late Aces' set - I'd heard these decals were good and they were, going on perfectly (noting that while for Hobbycraft's 1/32 Dr.1 kit, these are the upper wing decals that are larger than those for the lower wing.  I'll be using masks for the rest of the markings.)  There is a bit of misregisration on one decal that I'll need to touch ups with red, but that will be easily done.  Working on the top wing now....

cheers Brad

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 01:57:38 AM »
 Brad,
Thank you for the information. I knew of HGW's rib tapes in 1/72 and 1/48 but not 1/32. They do look great and I believe you're right the 1/48 rib tapes looking the part on your 1/28 Dr.I. Keep up the good works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2018, 03:30:42 AM »
The tapes look perfect under the red paint. The red shade is spot on and the crosses look like they were made for this kit!
RAGIII

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »
Very nice!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Daryl_Huhtala

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2018, 03:45:35 AM »
Sweet build and educational too. I'm watching and learning (and ordering rib tapes). Keep on it.
SUMUS QUOD SUMUS

Offline Brad Fallen

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
OK, have been a bit slack with updates.  :-\

Cockpit details were cemented to port fuselage half and allowed to dry - constant test fitting was obviously a must, but overall fit was surprisingly good given the number of alterations and additions.