Author Topic: Your favorite for removing skin oils?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline GazzaS

Your favorite for removing skin oils?
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »
I applaud those guys that can wear the rubber glove while building.  But, barely in control of the little parts as it is, and hating the sweaty hand feeling, I usually wipe the bare plastic down with a bit of Iso alcohol. 

But a recent episode of terrible paint-lift while gently removing Tamiya and other Kabuki type of tapes has me wondering if perhaps maybe skin oils are my problem.

What do you guys use?

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Your favorite for removing skin oils?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
Isopropyl should be all you need for cleaning off skin oil. Dawn dishwashing liquid is a good alternative if the part in question already has a coating on it that will react to isopropyl (Mr. Surfacer and Tamiya acrylics will, for instance). Simple Green is another.

Besides a good clean, oil-free surface, make sure the paint has had plenty of time to cure before attempting to mask on top of it. I usually wait three or four days with Tamiya acrylics.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Thank you for the helpful answer.  I use artist tube acrylics thinned with Future.  I rarely have trouble with lift.  But with the build in question I used MRP white primer, and it lifted off so badly that I had to conclude that either the primer was bad, or that the surface was bad.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
If I cant wear gloves I'll wash my hands a number of times in the hottest water standable. Usually I wear the gloves.
The best stuff I used for cleaning was Polly Scale Prep, an alcohol based cleaner. Now I'll use isopropynol.
And lacquer thinners for metal parts.
Evaporative cleaners are the best.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »
for those who can't stand gloves, but want to use gloves:

Animation painting gloves are cotton and rather comfy. They solve basically the same skin oil problem. Skin oil on an animation cell would show up on the screen (especially backgrounds, which is what i was painting when I wore 'em).

These ought to do the trick.

http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/content/gloves-animation-cel-inking-painting