Author Topic: Karl Bolle's Albatros D.III by Roden and me  (Read 4922 times)

Offline rayb24

Re: Karl Bolle's Albatros D.III by Roden and me
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
That’s some nice wood you have there.. wot you mean it’s not wood?  Seriously very nice build
Photo’s meh... who needs them.  Lol sigh great advice
Ray

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
Everyone,
   Thank you for the positively inspiring replies!  I'm really glad I got redirected to this forum.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
I followed your build with interest and must say your results are excellent! Your smooth join at the cowling panels makes me envious as I was beaten into submission by mine and left the covers off  :( Really nice work all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 11:06:56 PM »
The wood work on the fuselage and the rigging looks well done.
Nice overall result.

Offline ondra

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
Very nice work, Gazza, well done! The wood tones look spot on to me!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »
I followed your build with interest and must say your results are excellent! Your smooth join at the cowling panels makes me envious as I was beaten into submission by mine and left the covers off  :( Really nice work all around!
RAGIII

Thank you!

Last night I read your build thread for your two Albatrosen with great interest and enjoyment.  I can see reason for leaving the panels off because your engine looks quite awesome.

Before I started the Roden I checked out a couple of build reviews and learned that inner parts for the front end don't mate up properly.   I think one review said that the builder, after joining the fuselage halves, had to pry the front end apart to fit the engine panels.  So,  I decided to make the fitment of the engine panels the priority before I even started.

I only glued the right side of the cockpit area to the fuselage wall, and held the rest in place with blutack.  This allowed me to not have to fight the engine covers when it came time to attach them.  I still had to use a little putty and sandpaper to get the engine panel join area smooth.

In the end, my effort produced an interior that was too far to the right in the cockpit and Spandau area (necessitating some modification to fit the guns), whilst the engine alignment was determined by the engine and panels.  I saw a recent build here where the builder centered his fuselage parts by placing stringers along the sides of his fuselage inner parts.  I'll be trying that on any future Roden Albatrosen. 

I'm hoping that my LHS still has the D.I and D.II on their shelf when I go today.

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 06:55:18 AM »
Thank you everyone!  I'm glad you liked the results.  I have to give a lot of credit for the rigging to Bob's Buckles.  They made a huge difference.

Gaz

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
RAGIII

Thank you!

Last night I read your build thread for your two Albatrosen with great interest and enjoyment.  I can see reason for leaving the panels off because your engine looks quite awesome.

Before I started the Roden I checked out a couple of build reviews and learned that inner parts for the front end don't mate up properly.   I think one review said that the builder, after joining the fuselage halves, had to pry the front end apart to fit the engine panels.  So,  I decided to make the fitment of the engine panels the priority before I even started.

I only glued the right side of the cockpit area to the fuselage wall, and held the rest in place with blutack.  This allowed me to not have to fight the engine covers when it came time to attach them.  I still had to use a little putty and sandpaper to get the engine panel join area smooth.

In the end, my effort produced an interior that was too far to the right in the cockpit and Spandau area (necessitating some modification to fit the guns), whilst the engine alignment was determined by the engine and panels.  I saw a recent build here where the builder centered his fuselage parts by placing stringers along the sides of his fuselage inner parts.  I'll be trying that on any future Roden Albatrosen. 

I'm hoping that my LHS still has the D.I and D.II on their shelf when I go today.

Gaz
Funny thing about the D1 kit. I had absolutely NO TROUBLE fitting the cowl panels and all of the formers . Perhaps they did a better job on the cowl panels on that kit although it is almost the same as the DIII  :-\
RAGIII

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3145.0
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:53:54 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 06:30:07 AM »
Agree with all the above comments, Nice Job !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »
Very well done, the wood colour somehow mates up nicely colour-wise with the Jasta 28 tailplane and Bolle's coloured band. :)

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 06:59:07 PM »
Thank you very much!