Author Topic: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347  (Read 10777 times)

Offline markleecarter

Re: Eduard's 1/48 Sopwith Camel F.1 - the first to score N6347
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:18 PM »
Fantastic work! That cushion is just wonderful!

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »
Beautifully done interior, Jack! I really like your control column, looks much more realistic.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »
Looking Better than Terrific! Love the stick and overall interior work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 11:37:25 PM »
Just catching up. Thanks for posting your progress. It is turning out beautifully!!

Steve

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 09:34:13 AM »
Nice detailing !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Halus

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 01:54:20 PM »
Juan, Lance, Manni, Gaz, Dave, Mark, Ian, RAGIII, Steve, and Ed - Gentlemen, thanks very much for all those positive comments.

Lance, you asked where in Canada I reside, that would be a small town in NE Ontario.

regards,
Jack

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:03:22 AM »
  "Lance, you asked where in Canada I reside, that would be a small town in NE Ontario"
Jack,
     Thanks, and welcome to our little club from a small town in North Eastern Alberta!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Halus

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 02:53:42 AM »
Hi Lance, thank you for the welcome.

Right, looking to the future of this build, trying to sort out the rigging.  I tried the forum's search function on the subject specifically dealing with the Camel, but I did not find an answer.  Am I correct in stating the flat wires basically all had the same style anchor points - I'm thinking the Late RAF style from Gaspatch:

Another question, how accurate is the museum example IKANOPIT, is it a good reference for the rigging?
https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=175

regards,
Jack

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
The gaspatch 'RAF Late type' certainly seems correct for the Camel. I have been considering getting some but the problem is that they expect you to simply glue your rigging wire to the end with a butt joint which just doesn't seem like a very sensible way of doing things.

I'd love to see how you get on if you do try it though!

Offline Halus

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2018, 02:04:50 AM »
Thank you Mark and Red Baron.

Yes, I see the problem now that it is pointed out, not much of a mating surface.  I have a couple ideas on how to use them:

The first method would be the simplest, just cut off the stem so there is a bit more area to hold a dab of super glue gel.  I think given the scale, that stem won't be noticed if missing.

The second method involves a bit more work, and would also increase diameter appearances  of the stem end, but would result in  a stronger glue point to the rigging line.  Basically one would have to prepare brass tubes the length of the stem end, cut the  stem in half, and then glue the brass over that end.  Now you have a hollow into which you can glue the rigging line into.

Also looks like  I will need to drill a couple square holes in the lower wings as the rear set of double wires attach to the landing gear:

---------------------------------

Another question now is the machined or turned aluminum look on the cowl.  Is it known when 4 RNAS began to paint over these areas in grey?   The aircraft I plan to portray flew June 1917 ...

regards,
Jack

Offline Halus

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »
update ...

Once the fuselage halves were together, work was needed on both top and bottom seams.  A length of sprue was added on top to represent the detail of the uppermost dorsal stringer.  That was further sanded down.

The decking behind the cockpit has two openings for access to the fuel tanks.  The raised detail was kind of weak here, and at first tried filling with just some plugs from sprue and boring those out, but did not like how that looked.  So ended up fashioning the replacement 'collars' by cutting and filing down brass sheet.

The bottom wing requires a hole near the wing roots.  This is for the bracing wires as they pass through the wings and attach to the landing gear struts.

The fuselage underside was completely flat, but should have some subtle cloth effects between the wooden frames, just like the sides have.  Thought I could just slightly carve  out the centers, but the pressure undid the glued joint.  So out came the razor saw to remove the whole bottom.

Plastic sheet was used to fashion a false bottom,and once that is fixed in place, some further putty will be applied to create the subtle fabric effects.

------------------------------------------

Happy to report that the putty work on the underside came out like I had hoped it would:

After passing a sanding stick on the underside to ensure all the cross members were flush with with fuselage sides, the putty was made ready.  Mixed in with the kneadatite was 50% Apoxie Sculpt - this combination makes for better surface for sanding if required after the putty has cured.

1. -  putty is rolled into worm lenghts and pressed around the framework.

2. - it is then further spread out towards the center with a metal tool

3. - further smoothed out with a fingertip

Above, the finished results.

The subtle fabric  effects are most visible at extreme angle and favourable lighting.

regards,

Jack

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
Brilliant work thus far, Jack!  Your modifications and enhancement will really make this Camel stand out.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »
Outstanding detailing Jack, looks great.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 10:46:54 AM »
Thank you Mark and Red Baron.

Yes, I see the problem now that it is pointed out, not much of a mating surface.  I have a couple ideas on how to use them:

The first method would be the simplest, just cut off the stem so there is a bit more area to hold a dab of super glue gel.  I think given the scale, that stem won't be noticed if missing.

The second method involves a bit more work, and would also increase diameter appearances  of the stem end, but would result in  a stronger glue point to the rigging line.  Basically one would have to prepare brass tubes the length of the stem end, cut the  stem in half, and then glue the brass over that end.  Now you have a hollow into which you can glue the rigging line into.

Um, I think you have the Gaspatch thingies upside down. The cylindrical end is meant to be mounted to the plane. The flat end was designed to be mated with (flat) rigging wire...

Offline Halus

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 01:16:35 PM »
Thank you Bud, Juan, and Flugzeuwerke.

About the Gaspatch RAF Late type rigging attachment, I could be wrong, but it is either I'm not seeing correctly, or the details from this restored example are also wrong?

To me, the flat end is embedded into the aircraft surface, while the nut detail is nearer the flat wire bracing, as per these photos:

regards,
Jack