Author Topic: Copper State Models Donier D.I  (Read 3001 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Copper State Models Donier D.I
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »
About a month ago, I received some exciting news from Edgar. CSM is planning on reissuing their old resin line, originally produced by the late Eric Hight. These will be limited run injected kits, an improvement over the old resin.
Edgar sent me kit #1001, the Dornier D.I as a birthday present last month, so I'm building it as sort of a prelude of what's to come. The original kit has no interior detail except a seat, so I dremeled out the fuselage and added a floor from scrap pe. I'm assuming the new kits will be improved upon.

Here's what came in the box.
No real instructions, just scale drawings.

Decals.

Very basic resin and white metal parts.

The fuselage is pretty solid, so it had to be opened up a bit to allow for a seat, controls, instruments, etc.  All scrounged up from spares.

All in all, a delightful little model, in spite of the old, stiff and brittle lozenge decals.  Edgar offered to replace them, but I chose to move forward with what I had.  I'm very much looking forward to the new, revived kits.

I'll be posting more and better pictures in the completed model section tomorrow.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

Re: Copper State Models Donier D.I
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Quick and awesome build Amigo! Making a beautiful model from an Old Resin kit speaks volumes for your skills!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
Thanks, Amigo!  Not my best work, not by a long shot, but I know this plane will be re-kitted in plastic, so I didn't really give it my all.  If you really want to see what can be done with this kit, check out Dame Karen's masterpiece.  http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Rychlewski/German/index.html

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »
 Bud,
Beautiful little kite my old friend. Your extra efforts paid off very well. Congratulations and Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline krow113

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Superb !
One page build , don't see that often..

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 12:12:07 PM »
Thank you, Gregory!  Not much extra effort went into this one, I'm afraid.  However, when the limited run injected kits come out, I'll really go to town on them.

Thanks, Steve!  Very basic kit with no pe and no rigging makes for a rather speedy build.  This actually took me a month.  I just didn't post anything till now.

Cheers,
Bud

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
    Nicely done Bud, a unique and very nicely done addition to your collection. I like the finish, very clean and the decals look pretty good to my eye!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »
I have one in my stash and must say that other then no interior this is still an amazing piece of resin kit as most of the old CSM line was.
It will be a graet joy to see this and others reissued as they are not done by any other company.
Some day I will nuild my Dornier, I love that little plane.

Yours looks great, well done! any trouble with the struts and mounting the upper wing?

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Nice done, Bud!
The additions look great. Good to see that such old kits are build and not rotting in the stash.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
Fine model made out of an extremely basic kit. Well done.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Wow, that looks awesome! 
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 04:17:56 AM »
Who needs an instruction booklet when you can make a model as good as this and as quickly? Super model - looking forward to more photos.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »
Great looking unusual bird!! I may pick one of those up on reissue!!

Steve

Offline xan

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
original and very pretty!
Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 04:42:35 AM »
I received some exciting news from Edgar. CSM is planning on reissuing their old resin line
Bud, really exciting news for the 1/48 addicts like me!
Even if I have already to much kits in my stash I think I can not resist to such limited editions.

And you have done great work on this kit!

Cheers,
Frank