Author Topic: Preferred metallic paints?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Watcher

Preferred metallic paints?
« on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
I wonder if forum members can recommend a brand of metallic paints to use in Great War models? I've tried some Citadel and Tamiya but few others. The Citadel were rather disappointing; I thought the pigments would be much finer given that they were for the small figures. I'm planning to use them for brush painting small details such as instruments, fire extinguishers (on WW1 tanks) etc.

TIA

Matthew

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Preferred metallic paints?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »
Hi, Matthew,
For small parts I use AK True metal wax (you can polish it really good with some microfabric towel)and for large surfaces I prefer Alclad II. Sometimes I use Alclad and give it a finish with some AK True metal wax.
For the frames of windshields and instruments I love to use the Molotow liquid chome marker (absolutely stunning) https://shop.molotow.com/marker-refills/molotow-liquid-chrome-1mm.html
Hope that helps you a bit,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Watcher

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:58:05 PM »
Thank you Manni.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 12:27:53 AM »
    I prefer the Mr.MetalColor brand. Lacquer based, quick drying, and can be burnished/polished. Their Stainless, copper, and brass are particularly good.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 02:50:20 AM »
My two preferred brands are Mr. Paint (only for airbrushing) and the polishable Agame metallic paste (can be both brushed and airbrushed).

Offline rayb24

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »
I second Manni’s choice the AK interactive wax paste is easy to apply and burnishes very nicely. Alclad is great but it’s airbrush and fume heavy so if you don’t want to do that it could be a problem, but it just looks wonderful when done.

Ray

Offline Watcher

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
Thanks everyone; lots to work with there.