Author Topic: McCudden's Kite  (Read 3287 times)

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
McCudden's Kite
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:51 AM »
Here's a little idea that came to me a couple of weeks ago while I was sketching out some other projects. I wanted to go ahead and get it fleshed out while it was fresh in my head. Its a slightly different composition from my usual fare. When I get an opportunity I'll develop this into a small painting.

McCudden's Kite
pencil on bristol paper
11" x 17"

"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: McCudden's Kite
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »
Russel,
   You definitely got "feel" and atmosphere built into this one. I believe a painting would be even better; the machine seems to have motion and the scene to me suggests return from a mission (with the rest of the flight turning "final"). I really like it but I am somewhat biased. Hope you post the final version.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
I'd love to see you post a WIP on this one, Russell.  :)

LT

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »
Thanks folks.

Lindsay, to be honest there really isn't that much to tell about the progress of this one. Not like my other images, anyway. I drew the airplane and then improvised a background as I went along. Once I get around to painting I would imagine I'll do some quick outdoor studies before proceeding with the final painting, but this one was really a case of shooting from the hip.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:01:34 PM by RussellSmith »
"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:55:13 PM »
If that is a case of shooting from the hip then you are a darn good shot, it is an excellent drawing depicting the aircraft and the scenery perfectly, I look forward to seeing the paint added to this already brilliant work.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »
I spent the past couple of days back on this project. This is the grisaille layer, painted with white and Raw Umber. This layer helps me to establish my values, over which I'll apply additional glazes of color. I already see a couple of spots that I need to adjust and/or add elements. But I'll let this dry for now.

Russell Smith

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:55:54 AM »
Very nice composition. I never knew this was the stages that went into a painting. Looking forward to the final product but I like its current "sepia" look too.

Steve