Author Topic: Felixstowe F2a Late  (Read 2669 times)

Offline The Red Baron

Re: Felixstowe F2a Late
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:05 AM »
Nice and clean, as always from you desk.
Have you added any aftermarket fittings to the control line anchor points on the elevators?

Hi Prez, no, I've just picked out the moulded detail with grey paint. N4465 (and other Saunders built airframes) seem to have had grey (or natural?) fittings from the factory. I need to do the rudder ones too.
Camouflage is for Sissies

Offline The Red Baron

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 05:47:11 AM »
The technique you used to highlight the rib tapes really worked well! Could you give a little more info?
RAGIII

Rick, rather than shade the rib 'shadows', I've just painted the entire underside solid white (required for Aviattic linen anyway), then masked the rib tapes off and sprayed white tinted with a few drops of JN Green (closest I could find for the upper side 'PC10') in solid blocks between. You have to show restraint though, there's a very narrow window between having no effect at all and the decals losing their colour and looking grey. Just make sure the ribs are absolutely white before filling in the blocks between; I was surprised by how variable mine were and had to re-do a few.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:12:44 PM by The Red Baron »

Offline The Red Baron

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »
Engines on. I've left the rear framing above the bearers un-glued and the oil tank off until I fabricate and thread up the throttle linkages and cables - oddly absent from the kit, despite the internal cabling and external cable ports being there. 

And yes, there's a lot of rigging wires lying around!

Offline Flugzeugwerke

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 11:33:13 AM »
Great!

Online Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
Aaaah Stop that!!! Now I want to build mine, too.
Great work!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:15 AM »
That looks awesome! 

Great stuff!

There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
That looks incredible. What an epic model this is. Looking forward to seeing it unfold further.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline The Red Baron

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 06:29:58 AM »
Next little mystery; the radiator shutter actuators. Absent from the kit, but in several pictures there's a small pulley evident on the inner side of the shutter frame (top left). You can also just make out the cables running from it down the side of the radiator and through some sort of guide (by that brave chap's head). On the bottom right you can just see the pair from the other side entering the fuselage through a small port in the wooden area just above the diagonal engine strut / brace.

Accordingly I've scratched a pulley and guide, and will open the port once I've figured out how to anchor the cables. Like many things on this build, it would have been far easier to do earlier had I noticed it!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:37:31 AM by The Red Baron »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 07:13:32 AM »
That's a great addition!  I'm amazed you noticed it at all due to picture quality.

I too am discovering the "I wish I had known it earlier effect" with my WWI build.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
My wife was watching over my shoulder while viewing your pictures and asked my how big that model is -we both love it, even if not finished!

Offline The Red Baron

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Thanks, Guys.

Jeroen, here it is with the upper wing sitting roughly in place (the ailerons will extend further outward) sitting next to a DVII.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
Your Felix is really looking AWESOME! Seen next to the DVII one truly gets the perspective on how large this aircraft is!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
That is soooo cool and awesome, but I just don't have the space for that! My wife gives her compliments as well, especially how the whole combination of wood, linen, etc is going together!

Offline lcarroll

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »
Justin,
    The photo provides a very clear perspective I was not aware of, it's even bigger then I had thought........ enormous in fact! I guess the AEG I'm presently trying to confine within my Desk dimensions isn't really that huge at all! Oh yes, and absolutely stunning work thus far!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
That is one massively stunning model.  Thanks for the scale look as compared to the D.VII.  Looking forward to your artwork and additional details you are adding to this beasty.   ;D