Author Topic: WNW Ships Camel  (Read 5503 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: WNW Ships Camel
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »
I agree with the others - you have nailed the translucency effect. The finish on the rest of the model is superb too.

Stephen.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for scoping out the build togehter with your comments and compliments.  The frustration I had on the USAS Camel were of my own doing.  I used the kit molded eyelets on the cabane struts and the interplane to support multiple rigging points.  Naturally when any tension was applied, they broke.  I managed to do some field expedient repairs but it was a frustrating build.  Added to that I didn't have the proper size drill bits which blew out the holes in some of the control horns.  ON this one, I secured drill bits from Drill Bits unlimited, so I was well prepared to drill tiny holes, I used eyelets where needed rather than trying to take a 'shortcut.'  I drilled through the wing at an angle so the double flying wires that attach to the rear undercarriage support could be drawn through and attached to the undercarriage.  All of this made for a much easier build.  On my next WNW Camel, I will remove the molded in eyelets on the interplane struts and use Bob's Buckles eyelets instead as I did manage to break one on Ships Camel, but was able to make a field expedient repair.  Live and Learn.
I appreciate all of your comments and compliments, they mean a lot coming from this great group of modelers, thanks so much.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
Thanks, Mark!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
I can.t add much to the others so another well done on the translucency ! The roundels are perfect! Lovely work all around as always!'RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »
Very pretty. Your efforts have been rewarded!!

Steve

Offline boggie

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
Beautiful in toto!  8)  :)

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:25 AM »
I can.t add much to the others so another well done on the translucency ! The roundels are perfect! Lovely work all around as always!'RAGIII

I believe my Amigo has said it all !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
Thanks Rick, Ray, Ed, Boggie and Steve for your compliments and scoping out the finished product.  All duly appreciated coming from a great group of modelers.
Mark

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 11:49:36 PM »
Lovely model, Mark. And the translucent wings make it even more interesting. Well done!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
That looks awesome! To repeat others the translucency is fantastic. If I may ask what was frustrating about the USAS Camel, I am wanting to do one of mine in the USS Texas markings.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 12:13:06 AM »
 Mark,
Outstanding modeling my old friend. The translucency is perfect! Congratulation and Well Done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline mgunns

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
That looks awesome! To repeat others the translucency is fantastic. If I may ask what was frustrating about the USAS Camel, I am wanting to do one of mine in the USS Texas markings.
Hi fedjocko:  The frustration on the USAS Camel were my own undoing due to taking shortcuts.  On the Ships Camel, I avoided those and I had no problems other than the rigging issue on the interplane strut.  Go ahead and build it, if you exerise good modeling discipline, you won't have any issues at all with it, as I didn't with the second go around with Ships Camel.  Thanks for scoping out the build and your comments.
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
@Prez:

Thanks for checking it out and your kind comments, duly appreciated coming from a modeler of your caliber. 
@ Greg:  Thanks for checking it out and your comments as well, duly appreciated and glad to see you up on the forum.  All the best.
Mark

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »
My goodness!!  That translucent effect is fantastic.  It looks so realistic, I'm it doesn't even look like a plastic kit wing.  EVerything else looks fabulous, too.

Bravo!!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
Beautiful job on the Camel, Mark. Have to repeat what everyone has stated previously - outstanding work indeed.
Cheers,
Gary