Author Topic: Sopwith Camel diorama  (Read 16333 times)

Offline kentyler

Sopwith Camel diorama
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
I got this book  "Building the wingnut wings sopwith camels"
it has a great picture of the royal aeronautical society's  ex-nas collection F1 camel before its restoration
it struck me it would make a great diorama
so i'm looking for any other information or pictures of this aircraft before or during its restoration
I will not probably try to get 100% historical accuracy... i may put in some details just because they are so cool :)
Thanks in advance for any pointers

The photo used to illustrate this topic is a copyrighted image and has been removed by the Forum Moderator

Sorry folks, I got so carried away with my enthusiasm for this model and the wealth of detail in Ray Rimell's book (great book!) that i posted a couple of pictures from it without thinking to get his permission first. My apologies.
Ken Tyler
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:51:59 AM by kentyler »

Offline lone modeller

Re: Sopwith Camel diorama
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:42:09 AM »
That looks like a very interesting challenge. Good luck with it.

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:36 AM »
Cool idea!  Looking forward to it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kentyler

usually i build my own custom parts
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 02:57:43 AM »
but, for a change, i thought i'd look for an aftermarket engine.... found one that looks good

Offline kentyler

i have the "USAS" model of the camel
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:05:36 AM »
and it includes a clerget 9b engine

i've found a few images to help fill in what the parts of the fusalage that are not visible in my photo might look like. i like the way the fabric hangs down revealing a little of the frame beneath.. i might use that

not really trying for an exact duplicate of the photo...just using it as an inspiration

Please note that the photos used to illustrate this thread are copyright images and have been removed by the Forum Moderator
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:50:48 PM by Des »

Offline kentyler

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »
So the first step will be to figure out which parts will remain in the fuselage and which will have been disassembled and be stacked on the wall or laid on the floor

The big ones that have been removed from the plane will be the wings and tail section. I'm thinking i will do at least one wing either without fabric or with the fabric peeled back on one side.
The tail section i may do without fabric, to show the metal/wood construction

The wheels are removed and the plane is on blocks. One wheel should probably be without its fabric covers to show the spokes

The guns have been removed and are laying on the ground as is the wicker seat

I will have to make a part by part judgement of which instruments, etc are still in the cockpit and which have been removed and should be displayed in a box or something

The whole thing will call for some interesting "weathering"  a little rust and a lot of dust

Usually i try to include a figure or 2, but in this case the plane itself becomes the "figure"

Offline kentyler

spoked wheel
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:40 AM »
i can find german spoke wheels, some for newports, but none for the camel...does anyone know of a source

Offline krow113

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 03:34:39 AM »
Google;
Scale Spokes

Offline kentyler

scale spokes
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 03:53:30 AM »
already looked there,
they don't offer for camel

thanks for the idea
ken

Offline krow113

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:10:20 AM »
Then you will have to make your own.
I suggest dimensioning the tires and find an appropriate o-ring to start.
Once the material is sourced and a procedure settled on , its not too hard to lace up a wheel. Jigs are most likely needed as well.
When I put some thinking on this , for my 1/9 scale m/c models , there are a number of ways to do it.
Starting with the hub a piece of brass tubing with 2 re-purposed p/e prop boss' could work. Look into the way MFH has been doing the hubs on their Brough Superior kit.
Lots of modellers use the removal and repurpose technique , ie: remove the centers of the kit wheels and drill for spokes , then lace as needed.
The Scale Spoke sets are nice but there is still a center rim joint line , nothing wrong with that just a pet peeve of mine when it comes to spoked wheels.
I have myself done spoked wheels with cast resin hubs and rims ( not a good idea) , cast metal rims and hubs ,(much better) , examples:
Resin:

Metal:

As I have stated a few times recently , go back to a primary source and go over Des' scratchbuilding tutorials on the website.

Offline kentyler

thanks steve
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 05:30:13 AM »
good advice on the wheels
i usually scratch build small parts like that out of paper and oven hardening clay
it will be an adventure
in this case some wire will be required, of course

Offline krow113

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
A key point of info;
The lacing procedure can install tension in the wheel. At 38 out of 40 spokes (in this case) you don't want this:

So material sourcing indicates metal components.
Good luck with it!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 06:28:15 AM »
Ask Richard Andrews @ aviattic if they still have leftover PE frets for the P&M motorcycle. They are/were the same diameter as many scout wheels (same PE is used for the Balilla wheels if I'm not mistaken) -- don't have a Camel handy, so I can't check if dia is correct, but I can say they build up quite nicely with the right rim & axle

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »

That is set no. S32030 from Part, Poland. It's intented for the Academy Camel, but could be handy here nevertheless. Part PE sets are available via Jadarhobby, Poland. https://www.jadarhobby.pl/index.php?language=en I ordered there once or twice in the past and they offer a good service
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline kentyler

"wire" wheels
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
tried an experiment
i think i can get this "wire" down small enough to use for spokes
bamboo has the advantage that you don't have to put it under tension for it to be straight