Author Topic: Gone West  (Read 7227 times)

Offline krow113

Re: Gone West
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 03:46:09 AM »
Wow.
Tough act to follow , to say the least.

Extreme intimidation looking at the the kit builds, then absolutely blown away by the scratchbuilds.

A tribute group build would almost have to have a scratchbuilt DESignation , that way he can look down and have a good laugh at us attempting to meet these standards.

Standards that very few modellers have any hope of attaining.

We are not worthy!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
Thanks Bud for putting up this simply breathtaking collection. This illustrates very well what a super-talented modeller Des was. As Krow113 has written, very few modellers could reach these standards.

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »
I know as well as his wonderful WWI models, Des was keen on other eras too. Are those models also on the internet?
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
I've a lump in my throat and my eyes are leaking. Good job, thank you.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 09:37:28 AM »
I still cannot believe He is gone west...
What a loss...

Thank you Bud for this thread.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »
I know as well as his wonderful WWI models, Des was keen on other eras too. Are those models also on the internet?
I'm not aware of any, Richard, but if you can find some, please feel free to post them here.

My friends, this is the only way I can express my feelings.  Words cannot convey my sorrow, gratitude, appreciation for this great man and what his loss means to us.  Just putting this together has been cathartic for me.

Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
Thanks for this Bud. Each model brings great memories of the builds. Can this be sent to some other sites such as Hyperscale? Anyone unaware could be truly inspired.

Steve

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 07:49:27 PM »
I'm not aware of any, Richard, but if you can find some, please feel free to post them here.

Des was active on LSP as Airtourer and many of his WWI builds are on there: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=73110&hl=delatorre

It looks like he was interested in modern aeroplanes and may possess kits, I can't find any modern builds by him there. Just gorgeous builds of WWI aeroplanes to inspire and convert the heathens

His gentle encouragement shines through there as much as in this forum

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 02:57:26 AM »
superb tribute.

Des didn't just build 'em pretty, he showed you how. basketball coach Larry Brown used to say "play the game the right way." Des did. and he played really, really well, too.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 04:19:25 AM »
Best tribute to an exceptional modeller, thank you for posting. We all will miss Des.
Giuseppe.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
My favorite will always be his SSW -DIII , thanks for taking the time Bud on putting this together .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Softscience

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »
Des really opened my eyes to a whole new world with the hints and techniques section of his site, and his kind words of encouragement on my first biplane build.

I only wish I had the chance to have gotten to know him better.

Bughunter

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 09:59:00 AM »
Des build a lot of great models, but I really like the scratchbuilds!

Frank

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
nice tribute bud, so sadened by this news hard to believe that one can be brought to tears by someone you have never met in person. when i got back into modelling over a decade ago at the drome we had our little clique you guys mean alot to me although these last months i have strayed a bit. what is REALLY strange is as i was logging on for the first time in a few weeks i suddenly felt it, before i even saw the post before the page pulled up i felt a slight twinge in my gut and the thought of des having passed away crossed my synapses. of course as the homepage loaded i said "nah" to myself only to check under whats new and catch a gut wrenching feeling when i saw the post. he was a great guy and will be missed.

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 05:10:46 PM »
Hi mates,
Seeing those picture, I can't stop thinking myself : Des miss us... :-\
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.