Author Topic: Des Delatorre has passed away  (Read 20979 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Des Delatorre has passed away
« on: February 02, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
It is with the greatest sadness that we wish to advise forum members that our Forum owner & administrator, Des Delatorre, passed away today.

Des suffered a serious heart attack a week ago and despite intensive hospital care, he has suffered another heart attack.

This Forum and the WW1 modelling family was a great passion for him and the challenge now is to continue the Forum in his memory.

Decisions about the Forum's future will be be made later but it will continue as it is in the meantime.

Des' wife Adrienne posted on Facebook: "It is with the heaviest heart, and deepest sadness, to tell all, that the love of my life and soulmate Des passed away this morning. David Wilson will be looking after the forum for the time being. Thank you to all for being the hugest part of Des' life."

Des was an outstanding modeller as anyone who saw his work on this forum, his website and Facebook would know. His passion for WW1 modelling saw him create this Forum and make an enormous contribution toward WW1 modelling.

We are devastated by his passing.

More information will be posted at a later date.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ModelingBob

Re: Des Delatorre has passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »
I am so saddened to hear this news. My condolences and prayers to his family and friends. God speed Des, you have gone on to a greater world where glue doesn't smudge and paint doesn't run. Keeping this forum alive in his memory would be the greatest thing to keep his spirit alive and with us in the future.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:08:18 PM »
I am deeply shocked and saddened by this loss. I’m sure there will be an outpouring of grief for Des who I never met in person but who built and maintained a forum that gives me sand others so much joy. RIP Des. Dave - I live in Canberra ask if there’s any way I can help let me know. Matt

Offline Mmarchal

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
I never met Des in person, but enjoyed his site and his great builds. RIP Des.

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »
I never met Des but, like most of us on here, have corresponded with him since joining the forum. Very sad to hear of his passing.  A very good man has gone. Thoughts are with his family and close friends.

Offline Propuldude

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »
Blue skies Des... Thanks for all your passion and wonderful models and endless information you shared on this forum. Rest In Peace...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 03:00:00 PM »
I am deeply saddened to read this.  WWI aircraft modeling and this forum were his passion.  Many friendships were made on this forum and the knowledge that is shared here is unsurpassed on any other forum thanks to Des.  It was Des inspriation and determination that created this forum and his determination, dedication and integrity that made it successful.  He will be greatly missed by all of us on this forum.  Sincerest condolences to Des's family during this time.  To those that will Carrry on the maintenacne and oversight of the forum have some large shoes to fill and challenges but I am sure the support that Des received will be ready and available to support those who carry on.  Rest in Peace Des.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
Prayers for his family; our thoughts are with them at this difficult time. Like many others, I never met Des, but am grateful for this place he provided, for a community to gather and discuss the old planes we love. His modeling skill, his passion for the subject, kind words of support for other modelers, and efforts to keep this a place where all modelers are welcome, have been appreciated and will be remembered by all of us. His ability to keep this Forum civil, and a place where we could always find modeling & research guidance, must have required a lot of effort, mostly hidden behind the scenes.

Thank you Des, and Blue Skies,

Rich Hicks

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm heart broken, Dave.  Thank you for keeping us informed.  My heart goes out to Adrienne and she will be in my prayers as long as I breath.  Although Des and I never met, I loved him like a brother.  When I first got back into modeling 10 years ago, I stumbled on the Aerodrome and met Beeza there.  He inspired and encouraged me right from the beginning and when many of us were booted from the 'drome, he provided a home for us here.  Blue skies, Des.
Till we meet again, mate,

Bud
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:39:08 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
This knocked the wind out of my sails.
My sincerest condolences to Adrienne and family.
I only live about an hour north of them and one of my goals was to finally get down to visit them and view his spectacular works.
His value to this community can never be replaced.

Des, you will be missed - Blue Skies forever mate.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline ermeio

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »
This is a sad news for all of us
We have appreciate his builds but above all his love patience and energy in running this forum
He will be for ever part of our memory.
My Condolences to Adrienne and family and to all of us - this is a great loss
Blue skies, Des

Offline Edo

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
oh,  no!.... i am really really sorry for this very sad news.
i am speechless...

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:49 PM »
It actually took me a long time before i found out there was a forum attached to the amazing site Des had set up.
I was amazedand inspired by that site and that made me take my first steps into WW1 modeling, even if I kept it with my favorite scale.
Then i found the forum with so many experts, answered questions and more inspiration! I really changed my life and my love for modelling..

all my heart goes out to those left behind, I can tell you that every time I even look at my modelling corner Des will be in my thoughts..

Blue skies Des...

Hidde van der Donk from Holland

Offline miecio52

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 04:15:28 PM »
R.I.P. :'( BIG MEN, BIG MODDELER.
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline Pavlos

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »