Author Topic: 9th November 1918 the 29th Sqdn last flights  (Read 885 times)

Offline le wombat agile

9th November 1918 the 29th Sqdn last flights
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »
I'm going to build the Eduard SE5 and I was searching for an inspiration. I wanted to look for some last  fights of the war. So reading some lines in the book "Who Downed th Aces?" of Norman Franks I found a possible subject.

At the end of that day Lieutenant E.O. Amm and his Canadian companion Second Lieutenant W.A.Howden were missing. The 29th Squadron flew in the area from Munte to the front. Over Audenarde they met the first 15 Fokker DVIIs and the first Fokker destroyed.
Then started a second battle with 7 Fokkers and 3 two-seaters. Other victories got, 2 Fokkers and 1 two-seater.
When the action moved south west of Ghent other Fokkers and other kills. Meanwhile Flight B faced again 7 of  the first group of 15 Fokkers. Amm got ine victory. 6 more Fokkers and another kill.
Amm and Howden fought again getting one victory each but Howden then was brought down and died while Amm had his control shot away but was able to level the plane at 500 feet but when the aircraft became incontrollable he crashed into some trees while the 3 Gernman fighters were going on strafing on him.

I know the serial number of the plane F853 and the colour bound to the squadron but I do not know the flight to which he belonged.
Has anybody some new about this story or the flight of this Last Ace?

At the end the lucky Amm managed to extricate himself and without injuries was taken prisonier form German soldiers arrived on th crash site. Locked up in Anwerp waseft behind when the Germans retreated and avcuated the town.
He could come back in push-bike to his Squadron airfield

Someone could ask me why I try to complicate my life in such a away ....simple I'm a modeller!