Author Topic: Stripdown Sopwith Camel  (Read 2970 times)

Bughunter

Re: Stripdown Sopwith Camel
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
Oh, a very interesting project! I will watch closely :)

I build already some of that series, long time ago I started this one, but it is still unfinished.
I soldered most of the subassemblies and replaced the flimsy wing spars by a modified brass profile (started from 0,6x1,0mm), so the wings are done.
The fuselage is mostly completed, but I had some problems with the struts and connection of the wings to the fuselage - so after a deep breath of air I put the painted subassemblies into my glass cabinet. They are still there ::)
Last year I started the next strip down, the Fokker D.VIII and finished it (with  Small Stuff engine and wooden prop).

So your build reminds me to take it back to the bench soon, after finishing the Bristol Fighter, and try to finish it this time. Then the only kit left in stash is the Fieseler Storch to complete this nice Eduard series.

Thanks you very much and have a lot of fun with this build!
Frank

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the link to your build, Frank. That is some very excellent neat work! I would love to see how far you have got with the Camel. Did you do anything to the struts to make them more realistic? I am concerned that they are very flat but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:58:12 AM »
You have already gone further than I would ever dare. As for the struts how about a little superglue to thicken them a little. In 1/72nd not much is needed...Just a thought as I used super glue on a Dragon DR1 struts in 1/48th years ago.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 05:50:46 AM »
That is some very excellent neat work! I would love to see how far you have got with the Camel.
Thank you!
So I started to post my build report here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9479.0

Stay tuned for more updates!

Cheers,
Frank