Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Dolphin: Engine-Mount Issues?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Wingnut Wings Dolphin: Engine-Mount Issues?
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:59:23 AM »
I have been following the Dolphin builds and read of issues getting the finished engine mounted into the mounts and fuselage framing. For those who have built or are building this kit, is this a problem with the kit’s design or production or a result of not following the assembly instructions closely enough? Or perhaps something else?

I am not looking forward to undergoing those frustrations or the possibility of parts breakage if the issue is endemic to this kit.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Wingnut Wings Dolphin: Engine-Mount Issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:25:06 PM »
The instructions  (page 5) shows the gun magazines, instrument panel etc fitted to the fuselage frame then the engine is fitted, this is the procedure I followed. The engine is quite a tight fit due mainly to the magnetos fitting under the magazine boxes, I had the added issue of having fitted ignition leads to both magnetos. The engine does fit but requires a bit of manipulating, some force is required but not enough to cause any damage to any parts. My ignition leads were bent slightly once the engine was sitting on the engine bearers but they were not damaged. The engineered tolerances are very tight on this kit and all traces of paint have to be removed from any mating surfaces. I had no end of issues trying to fit the bottom wing to the fuselage but once I scrapped off all the paint the wing virtually fell into place. It is great to work with a kit that has parts that fit so well, this is typical of Wingnuts quality.

Don't be afraid to tackle this kit eindecker, you will thoroughly enjoy the build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: Wingnut Wings Dolphin: Engine-Mount Issues?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Des. I thought something like that might be the case. By test fitting everything on the Wingnut Wings D.VII kit I had no problems with the engine-frame-cockpit assemblies coming nicely together. Sounds like the same with the Dolphin.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.