Author Topic: Greetings from the Wisconsin Northwoods  (Read 3339 times)

Offline BSteinIPMS

Greetings from the Wisconsin Northwoods
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:51:21 AM »
Living on the northeast corner of Wisconsin - right next to the Michigan Upper Peninsula border - gives one lots of time during the snowy winter to build models while awaiting Spring. I'm currently building the Hasegawa 1/8 Fokker Dr.I Triplane (I know....I know....I should have my head checked...) and find many sins of commission and omission. This will be a multi-year build........but Hey! That's what modeling is all about. Can't agree with Hasegawa that this is a "Museum Model". More like a good basis for replacing, correcting, adding, and scratch-building. Having said this, though, I'm having great fun with the kit. I've followed two blogs of this model's build by two Brits, both of whom registered dismay at the amount of correcting necessary, and one - in typical British understatement said "I don't think I like this model."

I'm a retired U.S. Army combat helicopter pilot, professional civilian pilot for 46 years, modeler since age 6, and have written two books and over 70 articles for various publications....FineScale Modeler, IPMS/USA Quarterly Journal, Ships in Scale, Nautical Research Journal, Model Cars, Scale Auto, etc. Despite this background, I am learning quite a lot from this and other WWI forums, so....thanks for sharing, lads!
Cheers!
--Bob Steinbrunn
Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Greetings from the Wisconsin Northwoods
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »
Welcome to the very best of those WWI Forums you mention! With your modelling experience you bring a lot to the group, and retired pilots make great aircraft modellers IMHO, just ask me! ;) ;) Looking forward to seeing some of your "stuff" and to your inputs here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JCoatney

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 03:10:55 AM »
Hi Bob, I had no idea you were in NE Wisconsin.  Hello from a fellow Wisconsinite (transplanted Texan)! Not sure if you are aware, but there's a new(ish) IPMS club in your neck of the woods. The IIPMS/Northwoods Scale Model Phanatics, based a short snowmobile ride away in Eagle River. 

Cheers, Jim Coatney

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 05:35:28 AM »
From one Bob to another...Welcome aboard!
I, along with the rest of the gang are looking forward to your participation in this forum.

Enjoy!

Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum, so nice to have you here and I look forward to seeing some of your work soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »
Welcome to the best WW1 forum bar none! I am looking forward to seeing your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »
Hello Bob, welcome from Germany! Nice to have such a new talented member in this great "Modelers-Meltingpot"
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:13:05 AM »
Hi Bob, I had no idea you were in NE Wisconsin.  Hello from a fellow Wisconsinite (transplanted Texan)! Not sure if you are aware, but there's a new(ish) IPMS club in your neck of the woods. The IIPMS/Northwoods Scale Model Phanatics, based a short snowmobile ride away in Eagle River. 

Cheers, Jim Coatney

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the response; much appreciated! Actually, I've cruised their website and then took part in their annual show & contest last Spring in Eagle River. I won four 1st place awards, the Most Popular Model, and the Best in Show awards. I say this not to brag, but rather to indicate what a great bunch of guys they are and how well my models were received. Great fun! BTW, where in Wisconsin are you?
Cheers!
--Bob

"Drink up, for the brewery needs the empties." ----Ghostrider 22, 189th Assault Helicopter Company, Pleiku, Vietnam, 1968.

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 02:15:30 AM »
From one Bob to another...Welcome aboard!
I, along with the rest of the gang are looking forward to your participation in this forum.

Enjoy!

Von B

Wow! What an impressive website! But, "Bob's yer buckle maker"? I thought it was "Bob's yer uncle".  ;D
Cheers!
--Bob

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:33 AM »
Hello Bob and welcome to the forum, so nice to have you here and I look forward to seeing some of your work soon.

Des.

Hi Des, and thanks. Your wish is my veritable command, so I'll post some pics of my 1/8 Dr.I
Cheers!
--Bob

Offline BSteinIPMS

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:21:59 AM »
Hello Bob, welcome from Germany! Nice to have such a new talented member in this great "Modelers-Meltingpot"
Bye,
Manni

Thanks, Manni: much appreciated!

"Bob, denken Sie, Sie verbringen mehr Geld für Modelle oder Bücher?" Meine Frau
Cheers!
--Bob

Offline JCoatney

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 04:54:14 AM »
I'm is Dodgeville, which is in SW WI, about half way between Madison and Dubuque. I'm part of the Mad City Modelers club (I'm also the IPMS Region 5 Coordinator). Our show is coming up in March, and it would be great if you could make it down.  The 2019 Regional Contest will also be in Madison.  Congrats on your wins in Eagle River!

Cheers, Jim Coatney

Cheers, Jim Coatney

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the response; much appreciated! Actually, I've cruised their website and then took part in their annual show & contest last Spring in Eagle River. I won four 1st place awards, the Most Popular Model, and the Best in Show awards. I say this not to brag, but rather to indicate what a great bunch of guys they are and how well my models were received. Great fun! BTW, where in Wisconsin are you?

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
Bob,

Good to see you here on this Forum !!!

For our other members, Bob is the last person to brag, his work is superb, his wins at Local and Regional IPMS contests are just about uncountable.  At the IPMS National Contests, he has won the Top Award -The Judges Grand Award for his U.S.S. KIDD and Other Judges Best Overall Category Awards with Aircraft, Armor and Automotive subjects.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.