Author Topic: Fokker E.V 1:32 scale  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Fokker E.V 1:32 scale
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »
Hi all,
I thought you might like to see my latest 1:32 scale model (my 12th), which is the Fokker E.V flown by Hans Goerth whilst serving with MJF III in 1918. 
The model is the fairly recent release from MicroMir and although updated by them, still leaves a lot of corrections and modifications by the modeller to bring the end result up to standard.  During this build I replaced the kit supplied cockpit side frames, pilot seat support frame, pilot step, ground crew grab handles, undercarriage struts and wing support struts with scratch built versions, made from Brass micro-tube and solid rod.  The wing support struts and the undercarriage struts were made with an aerofoil section and reinforced internally with solid brass rod. They were fitted to the model without using the ‘Pheon’ supplied jig that came as part of their decal set. The engine was replaced by the ‘Roden’ version and the two machine guns by ‘Gaspatch’ equivalents, whose turnbuckles were also used.  The lozenge 'fabric' decals were from 'Aviattic' and the pilot figure from ‘Copper State Models'.  The access panel wingnuts and Fokker style fasteners were from 'Taurus Models'.

As usual I have compiled a comprehensive build log in Adobe PDF format.  It includes step by step build details, supported by colour photographs and also covers the kit corrections and modifications as well some information on the pilot and aircraft.  It can be viewed and/or downloaded from the linked Fokker E.V images here:

http://igavh2.xara.hosting/index.htm

My next model will be the Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup (RFC version).   

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 06:22:17 PM by sandbagger »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline lone modeller

Re: Fokker E.V 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:55 AM »
Superb model. The dirt on the cowling is just right and particularly noteworthy, but the general finish is just first class. I really like the base and figure too - all round top notch.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:43:35 AM »
Mike,
     Great looking model! Having recently completed this one as well I can appreciate the superb work you completed here. Nicely finished, realistic weathering, and you really did those wing struts well, that in itself is a real challenge! Congratulations on a very fine model.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 06:57:52 AM »
An extremely well made and finished model, the overall finish is superb and you did a great job with the pilot figure and base, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »
Great model, well done! I can sign all the words above.

One thing what irritates me: The distance between propeller and cowling looks too small, see the drawing on the title of your build log PDF. May be you can fix it easily.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »
Hi all,
Many thanks for your encouraging comments.
Frank - good spot - I hadn't noticed how close I'd fitted the prop to the engine cowl - I'll ease it out a bit.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:24:24 AM »
Another beauty, congratulations on a great build and display.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
Wow, great, no...let me say perfect build. Also the presentation on the black base is very eye-pleasing.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:24 AM »
Mike,
     Great looking model! Having recently completed this one as well I can appreciate the superb work you completed here. Nicely finished, realistic weathering, and you really did those wing struts well, that in itself is a real challenge! Congratulations on a very fine model.
Cheers,
Lance

I agree with Lance on all counts. I will add that the figure and presentation are equally as well done!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:25:39 AM »
A perfect dozen. Hats off!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
Very nice build. Figure looks great too. Weathering is perfect.
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
Nicely done and the figure and collection also !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for your positive comments - it means a lot, especially when from members of this forum, particularly Lance and RAGIII, who's builds of this particular aircraft were stunning.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 03:01:35 AM »
Great model. Looks very fine with that yellow cowling. Fine weathering too. Sincere congratulations!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
Neat little vignette.  Pilot figure is lifelike and adds that touch of scale to the model.  The model is outstanding.  This is a tough one to build, by all accounts, and you did an outstanding job from weathering, decal and the base.  A real eye catching piece of work.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....