Author Topic: question about early Pfalz D.III (and not D.IIIa) colors  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Dennis Sparks

question about early Pfalz D.III (and not D.IIIa) colors
« on: December 30, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »
I would like to model one of the earliest D.IIIs that were delivered with a two-color upper camouflage scheme.  I've done a bit of grazing on the internet, plus checked the Osprey book on Pfalz aces, and all of the illustrations that I can find depict these early birds in the mauve and green scheme, probably over silver-grey undersurfaces. 

But I also ran across a note that indicated that delivering them in a camouflage scheme instead of the overall silver-grey was something of a holdover from when Pfalz was building Roland D.IIs under license, and when I looked for color illustrations of Rolands, all that I could find show them in the red-brown and green scheme.  I also saw an opinion that early Pfalz D.IIIs might have also been in the red-brown and green.  Over a light blue undersurfaces instead of the silver-grey?  Opinions, anyone?

And while I'm asking, let me show my ignorance by extending the question into a more general one about all of the early German painted camouflage schemes.  As I think I understand it, the progression was the red-brown and green scheme (only field applied?), followed by a three-color scheme of red-brown, green and a lighter green, which was then followed by the mauve and green scheme before turning to the printed lozenge fabrics.

How far afield am I on this?  Are there any generally agreed upon range of dates for each of these three schemes?  How much overlap?  Assuming that they had aircraft in production within these time frames did some manufacturers prefer to use only one or two of these schemes and not the others?

Dennis

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: question about early Pfalz D.III (and not D.IIIa) colors
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 06:07:05 AM »
So, what year would you be representing?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RAGIII

Re: question about early Pfalz D.III (and not D.IIIa) colors
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:55:02 PM »
This is just an opinion based on what I have read so take it as you may. By the time the Pfalz DIII entered service I believe the red brown color had already been prohibited on German aircraft. ( August/Sept 1917 for the Pfalz DIII). Therefore it is far more likely to be The Lilac/Mauve and green as most profiles show. As for the undersurfaces the silver grey is likely but would be almost impossible to differentiate between that and light blue so there is a window of opportunity. That being said who knows  ::)

The red brown and green schemes were seen on Roland and Halberstadt fighters but I think the early Albatros scouts, after the DI, carried the red brown, light green, and dark green uppers.. fuselage usually left in its natural wood varnished state.

As for the progression generally speaking you have it down fairly well. Albatros Fighters did go through a period, according to Dan San Abbott, of overpainting the red brown with the light and dark green from the  3 upper surface color scheme. As for Albatros fighters,to my knowledge only OAW built Albatros DIIIs and A mixture of DV/DVas carried the Mauve and green scheme on the wings. I am not as well versed on 2 seater camo so perhaps others can give better info.
 I hope this helps some. I would recommend a trip to the Aerodrome forum some good OLD threads there with a diligent search.
RAGIII
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:59:04 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler