Author Topic: WNW Pfalz D.XII  (Read 14262 times)

Offline aliluke

Re: WNW Pfalz D.XII
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
Brilliant work Dave. I can't get that level of cleanness on my Wingnut kits yet so I weather a little bit to conceal the defects!

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »
Looks good -strange people at the Pfalz factory, to put a decal on the exhaust pipe!

Offline davec

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for their comments.  Not sure what happened, but I had this pile of painted parts, started rigging, and all of a sudden, the model was done.  I didn’t take pictures along the way.  It looked terrible with loose rigging all over the place, and the stabilizer and ailerons knocked off.

Finished pictures at:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9143.0

I’m very appreciative to everyone for their help, advice, and encouragement.   I went way outside of my comfort zone  - lots of first for me on this: wiring the engine, lozenge decals, silhouette stencil cutter (only made the mask for the plate on the front of the propeller, but had to start someplace), filling, masking the laminated propeller, using RG-3 airbrush, stripping paint, heat stretched sprue – can’t even list them all.

Lots of lessons learned as well.  Will be paying much better attention to dust control when painting, and one of my first steps will be inserting reinforcing brass rods where the rudder, stabilizer, and aileron’s attach.

Next up – DH-9 from the WNW damaged merchandise sale.  The $29.99 purchase price means the chance to try more drooling bulldog paint, HGW photoetch, and gaspatch guns.

I’m going to do the “Lobster:”

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/v16B75742/www/products/model_kitsets/32035/colour_schemes/DH.9%20D2989%20Lobster,%2049%20TDS,%20February%201919.jpg

Plan is to scan the decals and use the silhouette cutter to make masks so I can paint the stripes instead of decal.

Best wishes for the coming New Year.

Dave

Offline mgunns

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »
Hi Dave:

I like the DH9.  I built one back in September, it's a fun build.  I will be following your build as the Lobster is on my to do list as well.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline davec

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »
Mark - many thanks - I checked out your DH9 in the completed models section - came out beautifully.

Dave

Offline aliluke

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
Hi Dave
Your Pfalz came out brilliantly. Bravo. You have tested more methods than I have - all great learning and great results. I don't have a DH9 in mind but will watch it unfold with interest.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
Top work, Dave!
I am looking forward your next build, because it is exact what I have in mind for my next build.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau