Author Topic: Dumb Newbie Question  (Read 2281 times)

Offline KirkH

Dumb Newbie Question
« on: December 27, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
I haven't built many WWI models and I've run into a problem.  I've got lozenge decal covering the upper side of the lower wing but in doing so I covered the holes to mount the interplane struts.  Any ideas how to locate the holes without damaging the lozenge and more importantly, any suggestions for how to avoid this in the future?  I just can';t see a way around it.  If I glue the interplane struts in place first then covering the wing with lozenge becomes a nightmare but if I do the decaling first then I lose where the locating holes are.  Thanks for any suggestions other than the obvious "Just build monoplanes"  :)  .

Offline Borsos

Re: Dumb Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
Hello Kirk,
I don't think that there are things like dumb questions, at least your question is none. When using Tarnstoff decals you usually take quality products that are printed on a very thin decal film. For even better results you can use setting solutions. In the end you will see that this decal film won't cover up any holes for struts, but you will see them clearly under the decal. There's no reason to worry. If in fact the holes disappeared under the decals and no decal solution helped, take a toothpick and work gently over the aera where the hole should be.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Hey Kirk, as Borsos says, not a dumb question. Usually lozenge decals are fine enough that they will snuggle down like a coat of paint so you can clearly see strut holes etc. If they don't then setting solutions, hair dryers etc usually help.
However some decals - the lozenge in the early Roden kits for example - defy all attempts to make them conform. If you are happy with the general coverage then gentle pressure with a cocktail stick should reveal locations. Personally I keep a pair of thin lint free cotton gloves handy and apply gentle finger pressure, which usually helps thick decals settle down around fine surface detail. (The gloves prevent any oil or sweat from my fingers contaminating the surface.)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 08:07:15 PM »
First off, try looking at the reflection of light on the surface of the decal. Chances are the locating holes have made small dimples

You can get a rough idea of where they are by using the locating holes in the upper wing as a guide, put it alongside and you'll find the approximate area

Spars often stood on ribs, so that will help too

If you have to go probing for holes, use a fine sewing needle, the pin pricks from such a fine point won't show up and can easily be filled with a bit of varnish

And next time, do one wing at a time, then use the other wing to locate the holes you just covered

Finally, most modelling includes a lot of 'how do I get out of this mess?'. When you've got out of a lot of holes you too will be able to offer advice - guess how we all learned...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline davec

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:45 PM »
Won't help this time around, but take a picture of the wing before putting on the decals. It will give you the general location of where to probe for the holes.  I saw it in a post here between putting decals on the lower and upper wing. The one I had the picture for the strut and rigging locations was a lot easier.  probing with a toothpick with a slightly rounded end should find the holes without tearing the rest of the decal.

Dave

Offline KirkH

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:12:48 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  In this case I'm making the Eastern Express 1/72 Aviatik DI (Berg) and I'm to the point where I need to attach the top wing.  Try as I might I can't locate the holes.  I think part of the problem is that the holes aren't so much "holes" as they are "dimples".  I should have taken the time to drill them out a bit before applying the lozenge, but I forgot.  Thanks again for the help.

Kirk   

Offline KirkH

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:27 AM »
Woo hoo!  The "use a toothpick to locate the holes" method worked like a charm.  I found the holes without damaging the lozenge decal.  Thanks again guys.  Thank goodness for forums such as this.

Kirk

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 02:05:31 AM »
Woo hoo!  The "use a toothpick to locate the holes" method worked like a charm.  I found the holes without damaging the lozenge decal.  Thanks again guys.  Thank goodness for forums such as this.

Kirk

Kirk,
    Which just goes to prove you aren't the first one to make the error, nor will you be the last!  If anyone here says he hasn't learned something from his fellow Forumers, he's got a short memory....... ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »
Remember that everyone who posts here was once a “newbie” (a term I find vaguely condescending and hope to always avoid). We are a modeling community and we all learn new things every time we post, read or model.

Welcome!
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline KirkH

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 04:58:50 AM »
I use the term newbie as a self-explanatory term so people understand where I'm coming from.  I've put together maybe half a dozen WWI kits, none of which would warrant a photo on this website.  Still, the goal for anyone is to keep improving, so any pointers I can find here are greatly appreciated.  In fact, I'd be so bold as to suggest maybe there should be a section for beginner WWI modelers here where experts can pass along not only general modeling hints, but also hints/tips for WWI specific issues such as rigging, top wing placement, etc.   

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
Kirk,
   I admire your candid statements here, I too was slightly intimidated when I first "went public" on a Forum, and again when I joined this one. A new section for beginners has merit however  I'd suggest you just post your models here where appropriate and solicit advice and feedback. If this Forum has one characteristic that stands out it's the friendliness and genuine consideration of it's membership. The odd "bun fight" has reared it's head but I have never seen any examples of criticism nor instances of personal criticism. I credit that to excellent moderation and the personalities of the Members. Everyone is most helpful and generous with their skills and advice, I'd say you will find this a very rewarding experience all round!
Cheers,
Lance