Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 51033 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »
Bud, Manni, and von Buckle,
    Thanks for looking and for your comments. The touch up on the "light" wing section worked beautifully and I've completed the addition of the missing fuel and vent lines. I'll try to post a few photos of the latter later today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline wmoran

« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2018, 02:18:42 AM »
Terrific work on the model, Lance.  I will certainly use this build log as a reference whenever I start my AEG G.IV (Early) that I bought in the warehouse damage sale.

Bill

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
   Thanks for that Bill. I got mine at the same sale and although I initially thought the "damage" was limited to the box I later discovered that several really delicate parts were broken. They were easily repaired and the price remained a really good bargain!
    Here's a few quick photos of the latest work. The fuel and vent lines running along the engine pod support struts and the wing attachment struts were added using 0.015 inch lead wire and lead shrink seal material for the straps. The valves on the latter and on the sump drain cocks below the nacelles are Aviattic's Mercedes Priming Cup valves.

Unfortunately some yard work awaits me today, I'd rather spend some time getting started on carving the props for this beast however my Landlord/SWMBO/Good Wife would adamantly disagree with that approach to the day's tasks! I'll do a bunch of lawn cutting and live to model again tomorrow!  :(
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »
Some really great detailing, Lance.  I'd have never thought of some of them.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: June 02, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »
   I missed getting back to this, sorry for the slow reply Gaz. It is amazing how so many details appear and need to be added, and I'm sure I miss more then I catch!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: June 02, 2018, 01:56:43 AM »
    Another small update to add to this Build Log, this project should start to flow a little faster from this point on.
    I took a break from the basic kit and put in a few sessions carving the props, in this case two Wolff pattern props in eight layer laminates. I used my standard approach laminating my own stock using thin veneers. I used very light and straight grained pine and a dark red teak stock.

The blanks were hand carved to profile shape, then tapered longitudinally, the "pitch" carved, and completed with successively finer grades of sand paper to shape.
I was quite pleased to complete both props on the first attempt without requiring a start over on the spare blanks, which are now available for a future project.

......... and here's the finished products. The hubs are from the Taurus Camel Prop Hubs resin set.

...... and finally a shot of one posed on the model.

I've also added the engine control rods to the model, the Kit versions have been replaced by brass tube as the former were bent and broken on the sprue.

Last, I've drilled and installed all of the rigging attachment eyelets and will now concentrate on getting the rigging lines attached to the upper wing in preparation for the final assembly and rigging. I'll be installing some of the miscellaneous smaller parts like the wind screens, radiator shutter control rods and the bomb sight etc first. It's starting to move along at a much better pace now.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2018, 02:08:19 AM »
Awesome work on the props, Lance!  They're perfect!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #262 on: June 02, 2018, 02:17:19 AM »
Awesome work on the props, Lance!  They're perfect!
Cheers,
Bud

I have to agree with my Amigo! I will add that the added lines and other details continue to make this a superb build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: June 02, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »
Bud, Rick,
     Thanks for your most welcome comments, they are much appreciated. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:29 AM »
Wow Lance, your updates and work are spectacular.  I love the direction you are taking.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
Juan,
    Many thanks, I'm not sure about spectacular however I do really appreciate your very kind compliments!
Cheers,
Lance

Online Borsos

« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2018, 09:12:38 AM »
Wow Lance, these props look simply fantastic! I really love working with veneer and carving my own props and I am totally blown away by the finish you achieved. Can you tell me with what kind of clear coat or laquer you worked over the wood?
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
Andreas,
    Thanks for looking in and for your generous comment. I used a dark oak penetrating stain followed by four coats of this Polyuretane clear varnish:

Next the decals, an overcoat of Future, and finally a coat of this Vallejo product to give it a semi dull finish. I used the Vallejo because my can of Minwax is starting to thicken with age and I ended up with a very glossy finish. Time for a new can!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2018, 07:08:15 AM »
Those props are just awesome...  I mean AWESOME!!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
Thanks Gaz, they do grow on you and I enjoy the change from working on the plastic parts of the Build. As time consuming as they are I feel they are well worth the effort.
Cheers,
Lance