Author Topic: LVG C.VI Wingnut  (Read 14331 times)

Offline aliluke

Re: LVG C.VI Wingnut
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
Thanks Eric.
If my LVG looks half as good as yours at the end I'll be very happy. Will try your turnbuckle method...I think...

I did get those internal wires beneath the wing stub in today (with turnbuckles represented). Will post pictures when I get the undercarriage done as well.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:58 PM »
Hi
Sorted that bracing between the upper wing stub and the fuselage. I drilled right through the stub so I could draw the wires through. Crude but it worked - holes filled on the upper surface, paint touch up and no one the wiser. Can't imagine how difficult this would be otherwise.

The undercarriage gave me grief - the parts don't seem to align. Back and forth but eventualy found a balance. Not sure it is right but OK wih the result.

I added a shortened flare rack on the port side and a grenade rack on the starboard. No evidence to support this configuration - just liking the look...

No escape now - the wings!

Cheers
Alistair

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:24:24 PM by aliluke »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
Loving it!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:18 PM »
Absolutely beautifully painted and decaled. The beginning of the rigging looks terrific also!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »
Alistair,
     Beautifully clean work and great detail, this is a fine representation of the TVAL bird which, reviewing Jamo's photos, is kept exceptionally clean. I especially like your wood "tones", lovely work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 04:45:11 AM »
Beautiful work, very realistic.
Giuseppe

Offline aliluke

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks all,
I really appreciate your positive comments.

Cheers,
Alistair

Offline aliluke

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Hi
Finally finished the base coat of lozenges on the wings. Everything very Future glazed at the moment. It was a slow process for me - cutting the templates and then procesing the sheets - my next WWI plane is going to be lozenge free! But I'll take them on again one day.

A lot of detail to be added - tapes, eyelets etc etc. I'm also going to post shade/brown glaze the upper surfaces to cut back on how lurid the WNW 5 colour offering is. I edge taped all of the leading and trailing surfaces on the wings and tail plane. This seems to be correct. It is hard to see but worth it in my opinion.

Also noticed, from the photos, that one of the lower wing stubs has become bent - probably due to excessive decal cooking with the hair dryer! Remains to be seen if this going to be a problem...

I know I'm going to regret not getting the Aviattic lozenge decals so please don't remind me...

Cheers
Alistair

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »
Nice work on the lozenge application. Looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ondra

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
Somehow I missed this thread before. Great job on the woodgrain, it looks excellent.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
Lozenge looks great!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2018, 01:28:36 AM »
Alistair,

You should be able to encourage the distorted rear spar into the fuselage mounting hole.

It doesn’t look too bad and the plastic is relatively soft, which can probably be realigned by immersing it in some quite hot water.

Worst case scenario you could remove the spar completely then drill the wing root and insert a piece of brass rod to give it more strength.

Currently working on exactly the same kit, except I applied aviattic lozenge to my wings, I know you didn’t want to know that, but just a matter of personal taste and they look rather good.

All the best with your build.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2018, 04:28:33 PM »
Thanks all - I appreciate your comments.

Dave - the wing actually fits fine so no worries. I have also cut back the upper lozenges with a thin brown glaze so they look much better and even a little "Aviattic" like due to a light linen like speckle. But will probably upgrade to the Aviattic offerings for future lozenges. It'd be great to see your kit progress here - there are very few LVG logs.

Just getting on to finishing all the wing details and then onto final assembly. Work and winter slowing me down...

Cheers
Alistair

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 10:14:09 PM »
Very nice work!!

Steve

Offline aliluke

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
Thanks Steve

Onward - cut back the lurid colours of the upper lozenges with a brown glaze - gives a slightly speckled effect. Fixed the lower wings with epoxy glue - solid. Added the strange - unknown - timber frame below the aft seat - it is there on the current plane and evident in the photos of the original but no idea what it is for...? Added a generator to the undercarriage - evident on the original but not on the current. Dry fitted the struts and upper wing - all good though the dihedral on this plane needs a little push (the books are there to prop the wings while the glue hardens to force the issue). Mucked up one decal on the rudder so had to lose the numbering there - a minor detail. Aft machine gun, map box, generator propeller all set to add but too fragile to go on while rigging.

Rip, rig and panic in the next few days! I like this plane - it has an incredible wingspan that doesn't really show up until late on in the build.

Cheers
Alistair