Author Topic: Gypsy engined car, Tiger Moth and Mosquito  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Tony Haycock

Gypsy engined car, Tiger Moth and Mosquito
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
I was photographing a friend's car yesterday, a 1931 Riley 9, but fitted with a Gypsy Major engine. We lined it up alongside his Tiger Moth (sadly it was too windy to go for a flight) but while we were there, what should fly over and land but the newly restored Mosqito which lives at the same airfield (Ardmore, near Auckland)

I do enjoy my job!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:03:25 PM by Tony Haycock »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Gypsy engined car, Tiger Moth and Mosquito
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Awesome trio.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
A nice day in the office by the looks of it Tony. You sure have a lot of excellent aviation stuff going on over the ditch ;) ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:06:40 PM »
There is some good stuff here at the moment. Another Mosquito is being done in the same workshop which just completed this one. Also on the tarmac yesterday were 5 Harvards, a P51 and a Chipmunk.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
Sounds like the preservation of aviation history and aircraft is alive and doing extremely well in N.Z. Given all we've seen recently and the incredible products of TVAL I'd say you folks are pre-emiment in that regard. Well done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »
Who couldn't like the lines of that Mosquito. What an absolute beauty.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:00 AM »
Beautiful machinery. Any back story on the Riley?

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
Beautiful machinery. Any back story on the Riley?

The Riley belongs to an aircraft engineer (that is his Tiger it was parked beside) who restores cars as well. He wanted a vintage sporting car and a Bugatti was out of reach (although he has just restored a Type 59 for someone). His father who is also an expert car restorer with in interest in aviation built an early 1920's Sunbeam powered by a Sunbeam Maori V12 aero engine, as well as a re-creation of the 1906 Grand Prix Darracq based around the the original 4 cyl 14.25 litre engine which found it's way to New Zealand just after WW1.
Anyhow. Robert (the son) wanted some of the big engine action so he got the running gear of a 1931 Riley Nine saloon, a pretty useless 1100cc four cyl thing and a heap of time-expired Gypsy Major engine bits and set to work.
To make the engine work in a car it has to be turned upside down (crankshaft is at the top of the engine when mounted in an aircraft), swapped end for end so the prop. boss is at the back, and a flywheel and clutch added. What this means is the engine now spins in reverse to a car engine, so the thrusts in the gearbox needed to be modified (he used a Moss gearbox from a Mk1 Jaguar) to take the loads.
In order to avoid having four reverse gears and one forward the innards of the diff have to be in upside down as well. The aero engine runs at half the speed of the car so a much higher rear end needs to be fitted. An early 1920's International truck uses a 1.9/1 crownwheel and pinion with epicyclic gears to reduce the final drive. Robert used the crownwheel and pinion from the truck and fitted them inside the original Riley housing. The combined weight of the Gypsy engine and Moss gearbox is basically the same as the original cast iron lumps which came out of it sot the handling hasn't been effected at all.
It now does 100 km/h (60 mph for our British and American friends) at 1400rpm, 100 mph (160km/h) at 2100 rpm, and will rev to 2500 rpm.
The car is an absolute work of art, mechanically and aesthetically and is an amazing thing to ride in on the road. I didn't drive it but I have driven quite a few miles in a Grand Prix Bugatti and the Riley is faster, more comfortable and does not feel like it is about to fly into a million expensive little pieces which is always the impression the Bugatti gives.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:38:14 AM by Tony Haycock »

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
Quite a back story Tony - I admire the engineering brilliance and knowhow, amazing!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice