Author Topic: Commerical spray paint for a CDL color what do you use?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
Commerical spray paint for a CDL color what do you use?
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »
I use my airbrush in the garage when the weather allows but winter has arrived and its 16 this morning.   I'd like to build a model in CDL and have several candidates the Eduard  Eindecker and Roden B.E.2c come to mind.   What commerical spray paint do you use to replicate the fabric color?

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Commerical spray paint for a CDL color what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
I haven't done this yet, I'm planning to soon.

Take a photo or painting that you find satisfies your thoughts on what colour CDL is and go and browse the rattle cans at Halfords.

When I do this, I'll probably look for two or three similar shades and use the darkest on the undersides, the lightest on top (or on the most sun bleached)

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 01:03:38 AM »
Although it never gets really cold here in Northern California (the hair in my nostrils isn't frozen), for about 3 months it's too chilly or too rainy to use the airbrush in the garage, so I rely on rattle cans this time of year.  My favorite for some cdl tones is Model Master Modern Desert Sand.  For lighter or darker shades, I use Aviattic cdl decals over a white base coat.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:11:04 AM »
I happened to be talking to (and watching carefully) a lady professionally painting some Victorian railway carriage models*. All the professional model railway painters use rattle cans for solid colours

Richard

*GWR non-corridor stock in gauge 1, from memory

Offline rayb24

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »
Ok so I have a question, how is rattlecan any easier in cold weather? I mean it’s -3 outside er probably 20f for those down south. I can’t see me using a rattlecan in the house or garage? I do have a room at the end of my basement that has an outside vent so I can airbrush, but rattle can is way to noxious indoors?

Curious?

Ray

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 09:24:20 PM »
Keep the can indoors, pop outside to spray then come back inside

That works in the UK, anyway. I don't have to kit out for arctic conditions, just dodge the rain

Richard

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:13:51 AM »
On days below 50F I usually warm the can by letting it sit in a bowl of hot water for about 5 minutes.  It prevents orange peel which occurs when I use cold paint on a cold surface.
Using an airbrush on cold days sometimes results in water splatter in the paint and/or orange peel.  I paint in my garage with the large garage door and the side door open.  Excellent cross ventilation. Like painting outdoors without the wind or rain.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence