Author Topic: Cataract surgery and detached retina  (Read 5584 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Cataract surgery and detached retina
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
I've got it! You need one of these:

Suspend it from the ceiling above your workbench. You can lie on the top, your wife can hoist you up to the right height then you can model while laying down!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »
Second detached retina operation was today due to scar tissue undoing the first operation.  Eye doctor put in an oil bubble that will stay in indefinitely to hold the retina in place. As with the first operation I need to keep my head down for the next six-seven days so the bubble reinforces the repairs and holds them in place.  Also can't lift anything over 15 pounds during the healing.  He was pleased with how the operation went.

I'm looking forward to having both eyes again  (I know bad pun) 8)

Got hex decals on the W.12 wings this week before I went in; also started on the Planet Rumpler C.I and have the engine and interior ready to paint.  Hopefully will have something this Fall in completed models. 

Charlie
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
    Best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery from today's operation, Charlie. Great resilience in working at the W.12 decaling at the last minute, I have to admire your determination. Hang in there for the 7 days and hopefully things will get back to normal!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
Also can't lift anything over 15 pounds during the healing<snip>

Charlie

I've just done some research for you, Charlie. Neither a glass of whisky or a pint of beer weigh as much as 15lb, so you should be OK for Christmas

Take care and good luck, if you are like me being constrained by injury will be driving you mad. My temporary one-handedness is getting me down

Richard

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 12:41:10 AM »
Richard
Wishing you a quick recovery.  Appreciate the suggestion on the whiskey and beer :)

Charlie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »
Richard
Wishing you a quick recovery.  Appreciate the suggestion on the whiskey and beer :)

Charlie

Happy to do the research, Charlie.

Now what shall I do with this pint of beer and glass of whisky?

Richard

Offline IanB

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
All the best for a speedy recovery. At least it sounds as though you're not in hospital for the week. When I had mine done in 1988 I spent a week in hospital with the foot of the bed raised up, and had to lie on my face the whole time to keep the bubble in the right place. What fun that was.....

Ian

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 01:31:33 AM »
I can't imagine a week in that position.  Sleeping is the worse part of this recovering but I keep reminding myself I'll get use of my eye back after this.  Dr said I could stop with the 'head down' position on  Christmas.  I'm looking forward to getting back to the work bench and completing the W.12, Rumpler C.I and my Gotha GIV that's been sitting on the 'shelf of no return'.