Author Topic: Roden Sopwith Triplane, "MAUD" of Flt Cdr. C.D. Booker PHEON decals  (Read 5218 times)

Offline mgunns

I had always wanted to do the Sopwith Triplane in 1/32nd scale and finally did.  I have the WNW Sopwith Triplane, but wanted to try my hand on this Roden kit, which I purchaed prior to WNW releaseing their Sopwith Triplane, I also purchaed the PHEON Resin Corrected Fuselage when I purchased the Decal sheet for the Sopwith Triplane.  If you look closely at the Roden Box Art you can see "Maud"  being chased by Albatros.
In the image below you can clearly see the difference in length between the kit fuselage and the corrected PHEON one.  I believe Brian Fawcett was the creator of the resin fuselage.  The Kit fuselage is for the prototype of which Des did an excellent job and can see his build up on the home page.

I like the color scheme of "MAUD" and went with the alternative blue cowling.  Our Fellow Forumite, Bud "Coyote Magic" Pearson, did one awhile back using the WNW kit and PHEON Decals for "MAUD" and did an excellent job duplicating the machining on the panels and cowling, I wasn't about to try that so went with the blue cowling.
Maud is #10 on the sheet below:

Using some spare WNW Insrument decals I finished up the I.P. and was happy with the turn out.

I had a Clerget engine from WNW I was going to use, but it didn't fit in the cowling and no amount of grinding was going to make it fit, so I opted for the kit engine.  It looks fine as the cowling does not show off all the detail that the modeler could employ with a less restricted cowling.
I didn't spend a lot of time with the interior, I added basic control cables and the stabilizer pitch wheel and ready to button it up.  For the internal bracing I used a sepia sharpie to pick out the details and penciled in the cross bracing.  Once buttoned up, it can't be seen.

The problem with using resin is getting it to adhere to plastic and vice versa.  The fit was a little off as well so some "surgery" had to be employed.
Not very pretty and I almost gave up on it as I was about to move on to the next step when it all came apart.  With a good nights sleep and strips of styrene I was back in business.
Now the tedious taping started.  Using AIZU 1mm tape I taped off all the ribs

With the tape removed, I tried something different.  Using Tamiya XF55 I created a "negative" shading in preparation for the final paint.

The finished product.  As the roden surface detail is a bit soft unlike the crispness of a WNW kit, I wanted to show the rib detail, but show it subtley, I think it turned out okay.  With more experimentation I think it will look better.

You will notice that Roden does have the cut outs for the cable pulley inspection windows.  Roden gives the modeler a thin sheet of clear acetate to cut out the panes.  I filled them with Testors Canopy Cement.
It's taking shape.  The PHEON decals went on without a hitch, laid down nicely and fit like a glove over the resin fuselage.

And it's rigged and finished.  I used WNW Wheels and covers that were spares from the USAS Camel as well as control horns for the ailerons, as the Roden Supplied ones were consumed by the carpet monster.  Not 100% correct, but Sopwith none the less.
Roden Kits have gotten a lot of bad press as of late and I want to show that with a little care and patience (A skill I am still learning) a nice model can be built.  Squadron thought enough of them to dress them up a bit in their "Encore" line.  Both Encore and Roden kits are now hard to find save on ebay and mostly out of the Ukraine.  This is my fifth Roden kit and I will be building more of them to fill the void.

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out.  ;)

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Roden Sopwith Triplane, "MAUD" of Flt Cdr. C.D. Booker PHEON decals
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »
Great modelling work and a spectacular final result. You prove there is life in 32 beyond WNW! Congratulations, Mark
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
This is actually a wonderful representation of the Sopwith Triplane and I can't see anything wrong with it. Having build a Roden 1:32 bird as well I totally agree in the buildability of these pretty kits.
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:20:05 AM »
Congratulations Mark, she looks beautiful.  A testament to your skills.

Offline boggie

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
Marvellous Maud Mark!

I like your subtle wing rib detail.

And the blue cowling looks great.

Excellent modelling!  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:09:25 PM by boggie »

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
Love it, excellent work, great result :)
Thanks for the reminder about taking care with joining resin to plastic.

Mark

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
She is truly magnificent, Mark!  This is my favorite Tripe scheme and you have executed brilliantly.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Another jewel in the crown, Mark  ;)
Wonderful Tripe!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 06:02:06 PM »
Beautyful build, Mark.
Great work on the preshading and the rest of the entire paintjob.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
Mark,
Stunning work all around! Your perseverance with the resin fuselage and plastic certainly paid off! Lovely interior work, painting, and rigging. It is a shame so many people reject Roden kits without ever trying to build one. Your Triplane is as good as any WNW kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:03 AM »
Super model. The rib shading experiment worked really well. That is a model that I would be very proud to have built.

Stephen.

Offline xmald

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:20 AM »
She's simply gorgeous mate! I totally agree with Bud this is my favourite scheme and you did it a justice. Congratulations!
Best regards
Filip

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 05:44:40 AM »
Beautifully done! I like the blue cowling. Between yours and Bud’s my twin Mauds will be the ugly stepsisters!

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 01:08:12 AM »
Just a big Echo to all the above comments-  nicely done !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 02:04:01 AM »
   A fine example of what can be done with a Roden Kit Mark! Great paint and detail, beautifully rendered shading, and the colorful markings all combine to produce a real eye catcher. I'm glad you stuck with it, and you've been rewarded with a beautiful model.
Cheers,
Lance