Author Topic: Rigging wire  (Read 1892 times)

Offline IanB

Rigging wire
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:16 AM »
This isn't exactly new, but I couldn't find a better place to post it.
 I recently found a company in the UK which sells a very large range of wire, including something I've been looking for for quite a while. That is, wire suitable for rigging a 1:72 scale aircraft, that will roll straight and stay straight! I just received my order  - it's 0.066mm Nickel Chrome wire. I cut a piece and rolled it under a metal rule and it did indeed roll straight, unlike other wire I've seen this thin which too springy and stays curled. An extra benefit was noted in that if I flicked the end, instead of bending, it had enough spring to it to retain its straight form! It will obviously still bend if really knocked but it does have enough spring to stay straight if, say, touched against a strut while trying to fit it.
 The company is The Scientific Wire Company and they can be found online here:
https://www.wires.co.uk/

They also do wire mesh and have a huge range of different wires that I'm sure many could adapt for use in model making. The wire I have can be found under Nickel Chrome wire/bare nickelchrome wire, just scroll down on the left side of the screen to see the list of what is available!

I hope this is helpful! PS the postage for my order to the US was £6.74 for a 10m reel.

Ian

Bughunter

Re: Rigging wire
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »
Wow, what a huge amount of different wires!
Thank you very much for this link,
Frank

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Yeah a good outlet for wire.  I use them for copper wire and tinned copper wire, in diameters of 0.125 mm up to around 0.37 mm.
I mainly use their wire for making rigging, especially eyelets to anchor rigging lines.  The tinned wire I use to replicate steel cable or tubes for cockpit or engine detail.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Berman

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 12:22:14 AM »
Nickel chrome wire is also known as nichrome wire. A less expensive source of nichrome wire in many different sizes is Ebay.