Author Topic: A splendid little War by Derek Robinson  (Read 1244 times)

Offline TobyCoulson

A splendid little War by Derek Robinson
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:47:50 AM »
I know it’s a work of fiction but like all his books they’re well researched and a good read. This is about the RAF involvement in the Russian civil unrest post the official end of WW1.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: A splendid little War by Derek Robinson
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
This is interesting - I was going to post this on the New Acquisitions thread but I think I should show this to you here. I've just returned from a trip to Finland and spotted this book, Mainio pikku sota by Mikko Ylikangas (pub. Atena 2016). Yes, the title does translate to 'A Splendid Little War', and it's about the same expedition, though a history rather than a novel. For those who have strained their eyes at the cover picture below, Brittilentäjät Suomessa vuonna 1919 = 'British flyers in Finland in the year 1919'.

I've just glanced at the Robinson book on Amazon, and from the map in 'Look Inside', that is set in the Black Sea area, whereas this Finnish book's map suggests it's concerned with operations around the Gulf of Finland/Petrograd ie. St. Petersburg. I should say that I can't give an immediate report on the text, my Finnish is limited, but the subject matter is motivating enough that I probably will set to it at some point, accompanied by a large dictionary and other language books :)

However, along with a few decent appendices, there are a lot of fascinating photographs. I particularly like the one on the left in the sample page I've posted, of the ditched Strutter (credited to the RAF Museum). Don't you think it begs for diorama treatment? I daresay I never will, but it's tempting. Other photographs feature Sopwith Camels, Short 184s, and a Grain Griffin which I'll be curious to read about. Also, FF.49c's, Nieuports, a Lebed, naval vessels and personnel. There's a section about Samuel Dawson which interests me, because it's his (WNW) Camel I intend to build in due course, the one he flew on the Tondern Raid.

I suppose it's unlikely to be translated into English, so sorry about what is probably a useless recommendation for most, especially at its €32.95 price!
But even if you seek out other books, like Robinson's, it does look like an odd and intriguing episode in history, definitely of interest to many members of this forum.

Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:47:55 PM by Bluesfan »