Author Topic: "Somme 1916" – Masterbox, Resicast, JSM, Mantis miniatures 1:35  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Borsos

Dear all,

it's some weeks since I posted here for the last time. From time to time things don't go as they should. Days get busier than expected and the nights therefore seem to be darker than they really are.
Anyway...
From time to time I need a break from my larger airplane projects and I love to change tools, techniques and methods of modeling. This time my hands got on the Masterbox set of British and German soldiers of the Somme battle that was done according to a quite famous photo.

I always loved this set and because I had read Richard van Emdens "The Somme. The epic battle in the soldier's own words and photographs" which I cannot recommend highly enough, the dices were thrown.
The scene depicts a supply road somewhere behind the British frontline within the range of German artillery fire. It's not the first day of the battle, of course, but some weeks later, in late July or early August. I didn't portray soldiers of a certain unit so I didn't add any Battle insignias to the British soldiers and just painted the Gardelitzen of the Germans. So they could be members of the 2nd Prussian Guards regiment which took part in the Somme battle.
I didn't want to do any heavy conversion work, I just replaced the Masterbox heads for Hornet ones and painted the figures. For the base I used a limber of a 6 inch howitzer produced by Resicast from Belgium - if you shouldn't know them yet, they are making wonderful resin kits. I destroyed one wheel (which was a pity) and added some battle damage. The dead horse is a Resin product from Mantis miniatures (Poland). At last the Trench rats and the SRD jars are resin products from Jon Smith Modellbau who offers wonderful resin figures and accessoires from the Great War. Everything was painted with Acrylics. The groundwork was made of a mixture of clay, pigments, dirt, static grass and sand. The trees are roots from the garden.

Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jorgo

Re: "Somme 1916" – Masterbox, Resicast, JSM, Mantis miniatures 1:35
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:07:17 PM »
Congratulations on that masterpiece, Andreas! Very well done!

Highest regards
Jörg

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 09:34:29 PM »
Wow Andreas, lives up to your very high standards.  Takes a while to absorb all your detail, must look even better in person.  Congratulations on another masterpiece.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
As the others said a Masterpiece up to your usual Standards!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:41:38 AM »
Extremely well done Andreas, your figures are superbly painted and all the added fine details to the scene make it so realistic.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Jörg, Juan, Rick and Des, thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words!
Andreas
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
Great work, Andreas!
A very impressing scene. The figures are painted great, as usual, when it comes to you.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:52:42 AM »
Magnificent diorama, Andreas!  I envy your figure painting skills and your ability to create an evocative scene.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
Thank you very much, Manni and Bud, for your positive remarks!
Best regards
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Edo

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
hey Borsos! this is yet another example of a great diorama of yours! I really like it.
are those roots you used as trees?
very convincing anyway!
ciao
edo

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
Thank you Edo! Yes, they are. When we removed the remains of a hedge from our garden I dug out all the roots (sweaty affair...), and looking at them brought me to keep a small amount of them as trees for dioramas.
Barbusse.
Remarque.