Author Topic: Avro Spider in 1/33 from Wagner Models  (Read 11623 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Avro Spider in 1/33 from Wagner Models
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
Thanks, Everyone!  And I appreciate the explanations of the intake.  This now makes sense to me.

For me - I build models because they help me understand the thing I am modelling. This is probably why the model I build is only a fraction of the weight of the 'research material' I gather on each one

So, if you learned something about rotary engines, that's a good thing

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
You are so right, Richard.  This is part of the reason I like building from scratch or trying to detail things a bit.  You actually figure out what that dial was for or where that cable went...you learn the details about the design and the people who used them.  This is why I love models and the intersection of history so much.

Tonight, I finished the cowl...well, the initial fitting.  I got some dapping tools which are these spherically machined rather robust hunks or metal with different diameters and I used multiple sizes to slowly roll the cowl petals into shape until they fit very close together even without glue. Then I very carefully applied glue with a brush and used tweezers to hold just a couple of petals together, let them dry and went on the the next set...etc.  By the time I got all the way around, I got a pretty nice fit and it looks much better than I thought I could do!  Here is a partial progression:

I still need to do a bit of trimming and I still think I shall coat the inside with epoxy and sand/prime the piece so the seams will be hidden.  However, even if I just left it as is with just a little paint touch up, it would look nice and be for the "purist" paper card modeler.  I'm chuffed, I must say.  :D :D

More soon and thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
That is looking quite promising

Richard

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
Knowing that this was the one part of the project that you had the most doubts about I must say you have done an awesome job.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 02:45:47 AM »
wow.

i've been following this as a bit of a skeptic toward modeling in paper. i'm a lot less of a skeptic now.

really starts to look like a viable material for the non-purist, card-modeller-of-convenience.

i'm also thinking i'll maybe look into dropping some micro radio control gear into a paper kite and see if i can get it off the ground. if it's too heavy i could always use the card kit as a template and use Depron, but it'd be handy to just reprint a new kite every time i crash.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Thanks so much Richard, Rick and Jeff!  I think I'll have a final posting tonight in completed projects!

Jeff:  I think this may be a bit heavy for micro RC but there is a plan for this guy in P-nut scale which is just a shade bigger and I bet it would fly great.  Of course, your idea of just using this download and cutting from depron would work a treat.  You should go for it and keep us in the loop!  ;)

So here is the cowling progress.  First, I filled the inside with epoxy and then this morning, lightly sanded the petals:

Then I filled with Tamyia putty:

And kept sanding, priming, sanding, priming etc...

Until finally...

I then cut out the bottom for the engine and painted the inside and out with black.  Go to the finished projects later tonight and I'll post the beast all done!  Looks pretty neat-oh.

Thanks to you all for encouragement.  I agree that paper models make me very skeptical...until you see what real artists...especially our Polish brethren...can do with it.  Just amazing.  In some ways, our WWI subjects are really nicely set up for paper as the curves (except for cowls and spinners) tend to be pretty minimal.  I have a flying boat, a large Albatros recon aircraft and the only Albatros rotary machine and a Hanriot all in paper in the background.  This little guy was such a joy to put together and really looks so neat, I may tackle one of those next. 

The Spider will look great next to my WNW Snipe!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
A devious bit of modelling there - I love it!

Richard

Offline boggie

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »
Your paper modelling journey has been great fun to follow, and educational too!

On many occasions I have thought, "how the heck is he going to get that to work"  ;D

But you continue to succeed admirably!

I look forward to more paper planes from your workbench.

Very well done.  :)