Author Topic: 1/72 Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) Rs II  (Read 28562 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: 1/72 Zeppelin-Lindau (Dornier) Rs II
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
I am reassured, I'll start preparing better insults

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
Truly spectacular results thus far, Stephen!  This may be your best work yet.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2017, 02:54:20 AM »
Wow Stephen, she is coming along quite nicely.  Beautiful work.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:02 AM »
And, Stephen, it is indeed beautiful work plus I really need to echo what's been said above about your brother's contribution...that soldering work is truly amazing...so incredibly clean and tight and very much to scale!
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 03:23:58 AM »
Thanks Bud, Juan and Doug for the compliments which I greatly appreciate.

Doug: with reference to the soldering which my brother did for me, it is worth remembering that he suffers from Parkinson's disease (shaking palsy), and has done do for 10 years. It just shows what can be done with enough determination!

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 03:52:48 AM »
Thanks Bud, Juan and Doug for the compliments which I greatly appreciate.

Doug: with reference to the soldering which my brother did for me, it is worth remembering that he suffers from Parkinson's disease (shaking palsy), and has done do for 10 years. It just shows what can be done with enough determination!

Stephen.

Stephen,
    That's amazing, your brother has done marvelous work, especially given his condition. Makes my whining about arthritic fingers just that....whining! Great inspiration.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 09:43:39 AM »
Evening All,

Lance: what my brother does with his condition is in my opinion little short of miraculous. He is designing and building some prototype equipment which potentially could be helpful in diagnosing different forms of his illness. This involves the soldering of some very tiny components and the making of a case to put all the part in. What he does is truly precision work, yet somehow he manages it! In addition he is making a model ship (a brig) in 1/76 scale entirely from wood, thread and other materials, using plans. He makes my efforts look amateur by comparison. I will ask him for permission to post a picture or two on this site - they will blow your mind! I suppose it is a case of mind over matter and thinking that we can do something if we a determined enough, but he has always had very high levels of manual skill and hand-eye co-ordination and that certainly helps.

I have finished the tail surfaces by assembling the biplane elevator and making the upper halves of the fins and rudders and attaching them to the horizontal stabilizer. I used 30 thou card for the fins and rudders and cut two slots in them so that I could insert the horizontal surface. Filler had to be used to clean up the joint because unless the gap was slightly oversize the horizontal surface ribs would not pass through. Incidentally a strange feature of this part is that the ribs are on the underside and not the top as on the wings: I do not know why this was so but it is clear from photos and the drawings that this was the case.

The elevator was a biplane structure which was easily assembled using 20 thou rod for the struts. Simple holes were drilled in both surfaces, the rod cut to length and all held together with liquid cement. I still have to add the arms which joined this structure to the rear of the upper boom arms.

Just to illustrate again how big this aircraft was (and how big a model it will be when finished) I have put the elevator, upper fins and rudders and the ailerons around an Avro Type D biplane which is in the same scale. This aircraft was built and flew only 5 years after the Avro.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
Wow, Stephen...that's about covers it.  Well done!

Dan

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 01:55:12 AM »
(Yeah, Stephen, please do ask him...I'd love to see some pix of his brig...doubtful I'm alone.....just drop 'em in Modelers Lounge or summink)
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 03:17:52 AM »
Amazing work, love the comparison of the two.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 06:50:44 AM »
Wow Stephen, the Rs II is going to be an absolute monster even in 1:72 scale, looking forward to seeing further progress on this incredible model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline boggie

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »
Amazing build Stephen.

And brilliant craftsmanship!

Your Avro looks brilliant too. Would like to see more pix of that little beauty.

I would also like to view your brother's models.

Looking forward to your next post.  :) 

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 04:34:28 AM »
Evening All,

May thanks to all of you who have dropped by and left such positive comments, they are really appreciated.

Boggie: there are photos of the Avro biplane in the gallery and there is a build log in the scratch build section of this site. I am sure you can find them easily enough if you scroll down on the scratch build section, and search in the gallery.

Doug and Boggie: I have posted some pictures of my brother's model ship as it is of today, (unfinished of course - he is in the process of building it), in the time to relax section.

Stephen.

Offline boggie

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »
Thanks Stephen.

Found it.

cheers   :)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Evening All,

I have still to shape the engine nacelles and put in something resembling engines.....

I have fixed the windshield to the hull - that was a part that I moulded and showed earlier. It was metal on the original aircraft and I think had the instrument panel mounted behind it - at least that is how I have interpreted it. The IP was a simple piece of card painted in oils to represent wood, (although on the original it may have been duraluminium?), and then some black dots to represent instruments. As this part will barely visible on the completed model that is good enough. The joint between the windshield and hull was filled and sanded and then the whole given a coat of primer, together with the wing and tail surfaces. The brass boom was given a coat of metal primer: I am not sure how acrylics would go on to uncoated brass and I was not prepared to take the risk.

Painting and decorating followed. The first was the CDL for which I have used Revell Beige 314. Artwork is not my strong suit and I find it very difficult to mix paint and get consistent shades so I used this straight from the pot. I watered it down and applied numerous coats - I think about 12 in all - I lost count actually. The first two coats looked positively awful but after that things improved a little. For the wings and large surfaces I drew the brush across the surface for one coat and then along for the next, alternating the direction for each coat. The final coat was always from the front to the rear of the part being painted.

Then on to the metallic areas which I have represented with Revell Hellgrau 76 again straight form the pot but again watered down and multi-coated as described above. The finish does look a bit uniform but the photographs do not show any variation and any panel lines would be too small to see in this scale anyway.

Next came the decoration: I had printed the crosses on my computer so I first cut out the white background squares from white transfer sheet and applied these:

This is the top of the wing and shows what I mean - nothing special. After that was dry the crosses were applied, in this case under the wing:

The ribs on the underside were cut from 10 x 20 thou Evergreen strip and represent reinforcing strips between the strut location points. I have since painted these grey too as these were metallic and not covered by fabric. The holes where the struts will be eventually fitted can also be seen here. The fin crosses were also applied so that the complete hull assembly now looks like this:

After all the excitement of waiting for paint to dry I can now get on with rigging the underside and inside of the boom because I am concerned about access accidentally knocking off parts because I have to invert the model in order to rig these areas. I also need to get on with those engine nacelles.....

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.