Author Topic: Copper State's 1/48 Caudron G.IV in the hands of an average modeller  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Nigel Jackson

Re: Copper State's 1/48 Caudron G.IV in the hands of an average modeller
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
Dear Lance, Borsos, Juan and Des,

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. It is very much a learning process. As ever, Edgar has proved such a generous source of ideas. So one thing I will be doing is using wire rod to replicate the metal rods that emerge from the crew pod and run to the engines, controlling the throttle and carburetor.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2017, 06:08:39 PM »
Sorry to be a bit late. Exceptional work to date! Your wood tones and interior work are gorgeous. The work on the pilot is outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 06:28:41 AM »
I too have missed this one Nigel. Your work is not by any stretch of the imagination average - far from it. The interior looks absolutely superb in every way and the level of detail is truly stunning. With regard to seat belts many pilots did not like them and they were more often than not, not fitted to early aircraft. I do not put them in on my representations of pre-1916 machines for that reason, and I have read that even in 1918 some pilots refused to use them.

I will be keeping an eye open for this one in future - the rigging can seem daunting but if tackled systematically it should be well within your level of skill.

Stephen.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 05:01:36 PM »
RAGIII and Stephen, thank you so much for your generous words and encouragement.. I'm pretty much ready to seal things up now and touch up the odd blemishes, here and there.

Thanks too, Stephen, for the information on seat belts. I have to confess that it didn't occur to me that some air crew would avoid them. But isn't learning and sharing such information one of the great strengths of this wonderful forum.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:47 AM »
You've never been an average modeler, Nigel.  I reckon you were born with the gifted modeler gene.  Your paint work on the interior is second to none.  This is going to be a real beauty and I'll be following along closely.  And, Nigel?  That Typhoon is really lush, mate!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 04:15:24 AM »
Hi Bud,

Thank you so much. I've been overwhelmed by the kindness and encouragement of modellers like yourself for whom I have such great respect. I'll continue to plough my best into the Caudron, certain in the knowledge that there are challenges ahead.

Next on the list will be a CS Dolphin (knowing that there will be some re-working to do on the tail surfaces) or their FK.8 before embarking on a big Airfix Mossie or maybe something like a 1/350 HMS Hood. What a butterfly!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline xmald

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Two thumbs up mate! I really like the woodgrain colour you`ve chosen for the cockpit and struts. Everything looks top notch with no signs of anything "average".
Best regards
Filip

Offline aliluke

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »
The concept that you rate yourself as an "average modeler" is starting to make me feel a lot less than that...You are a very good if not an exceptional modeler - please accept that accolade otherwise the truly "average modelers" will feel so much less so - that is me included.

Your work is brilliant. Please don't pretend to be average anymore. There is always a better model maker out there and you are one of them!  :)

I still covet this plane and its rendition by CSM but my current stash of unfinished models moderates my "Buy Now" finger.

Wonderful work by you and I look forward to more!

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Dear Filip and Alistair,

Thank you very much for your generous and kind words of encouragement.

Filip, it was reading your commentary on the same kit build - where you wrote about your use of a beige acrylic and raw sienna - that prompted me to experiment and then become more systematic in what, for me, had previously been a hit and miss approach. I don't know what beige you used as a base, but maybe the only difference was my use of burnt, rather than raw sienna; a decision which left me in fear for some time that it might turn out too orange.

Alistair, your words and those of others here have certainly boosted a self-confidence which normally crawls along at street level, thank you. I don't belong to any local modelling group or attend any shows, apart from Telford (which sadly I can't get to this year), where the standard of competition entries is, to my eyes, unbelievably high. Apart from Telford, my yardstick then is what I see online, most particularly on this wonderful forum and Des' website where I have seen, and try to learn from the work, of so many talented people. Finding the website and joining the forum, I count as one of best decisions of my life outside work.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
Well done, Nigel. I've just caught up to your Caudron build and it's going very well, IMHO. Best of luck with it! 8)

BTW, when will we know the identity of the "average modeller?"  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
Well done, Nigel. I've just caught up to your Caudron build and it's going very well, IMHO. Best of luck with it! 8)

BTW, when will we know the identity of the "average modeller?"  ;D

Hi Gary and thanks for the good wishes. As to when the identity will be received - probably when I try to sit the top wing in place and/or embark on the rigging!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
Wonderful work so far Nigel, I'm following you and I know I will learn a lot from your build.
I like very much the wood tone you selected, No.7, but on your description it appears having the same "ingredients" of No. 6 which appears to me a lot different...

Keep on going this way, you'll reach a tremendous result!

Antonio

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
Beautifully shaded wood Nigel!

I've got one in the stash, but the rigging in 1/48 still scares me... will look forward to see how you tackle this..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline xan

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »
Cool another Caudron!
good starting , very good job!

thanks to share your wood paint tests.
i find them usefull and kept them in my archive.
I did this prhaps it will interest someone...

wich decoration have you choosen?

i will not be far if you need documentation  ;)

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.