Author Topic: HpH 1:32 all resin Aviatik Berg D.1  (Read 6827 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: HpH 1:32 all resin Aviatik Berg D.1
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
I followed this one on FB and must say your results are as always Spectacular!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 03:26:13 PM »
Many thanks to all those who have posted comments on my build, your very kind words are much appreciated.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »
The kind words are all well deserved as I add mine here on your build !!
Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 03:19:23 AM »
WOW! Talk about model building by the seat of your pants! Great fix Des! I really like the subject as I find most A/H aircraft visually interesting.

I hope it turns out that your solution is permanent. I would have considered maybe using a .008 guitar string for the added strength.

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »
Cracker Des

Always afraid of resin, but you make it look so easy. Nice one!

Cheers

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

Offline Russell

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 06:35:21 PM »
Des,
Another beautiful build to add to all the others. Well done at sorting the wings out.

On the thread relating to the forthcoming HpH HP O/400 in 1/32 scale I commented that I was wondered how the resin & fibreglass materials HpH use would cope with the long wingspan. The experience Des has had with a much smaller aircraft doesn’t bode well & even with structural bracing the HP O/400 will be a challenge.

I like resin kits, if anything I prefer them to styrene (especially for racing cars). There’s been some truly awful resin kits produced in the past (still are to a much lesser degree) but kits from Silver wings, Alley Cat, HpH & especially Copper State & Aviattic are right at the other end of the scale & can have a delicacy of detail that styrene lacks. That said the mechanical properties of styrene are more suited to long thin wings – even there structural rigging has to be carefully considered with largest WWI aircraft.

There should be no need to use guitar wire for structural bracing as even fine monofilament line has strength way beyond what’s required & the good grades don't stretch. Having said that the wire certainly would look good.

Regards
Russell   

Offline davec

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
Beautiful model. Love the wood grain, and the rigging came out tremendously.

Dave

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »
Beautiful model under every aspect. I really like it.
Giuseppe

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »
Holy Cow...that's a piece of work, Des.  I really like the prop and the subtle fabric.  Happens to be one of my favorite types too.

Even cooler that it's all resin.  Much admiration.

Dan

Offline ondra

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
Very nice, Des! Aviatik Berg D.I is one of the most beautiful WWI aircraft in my opinion and your build catches the beauty perfectly!

Congratulations.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 01:40:07 AM »
Simply magnificent, Des!  Another museum quality piece from your talented hands.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
My many thanks to Skeeterbuck, Ed, Dave (Kong), Russell, Dave, Giuseppe, Dan, Ondra and Ed for posting your wonderful comments, they are all very much appreciated.

Des.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:00:23 PM by Des »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
It has been over two weeks now since I did the correction to the sagging wings and I am very happy to announce that the issue has not returned. The technique I used to rectify the sagging wings has worked a treat and measurement checks today revealed that the wings have not moved a fraction.
To read how I fixed the wing problem please have a look here;  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page58.html

Des.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
You certainly have picked some interesting aircraft from the files of obscurity.  Outstanding work on this kit Des.  As some have mentioned, I don't think I would ever touch a resin kit, but you certainly have raised the bar and have added a unique model to the ever increasing collection and thanks for showing this and proving that it can be done.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
Thanks very much Mark for your comments. I am not a fan of resin aircraft kits and I am very hesitant each time I start to build one not knowing what I am going to find, or not find. Luckily the two HpH kits I have built the Macchi M.5 and Aviatik Berg D.1 have been above average kits and turned out to be nice looking models, the Alley Cat Bristol M1.c was also and very good kit and built up to be a nice looking model, on the bottom end of the scale is the Omega Mosca MB bis and the Battle Axe Fokker E.III were a real challenge. In 1:48 scale I built the CSM Salmson-Moineau S.M.1 and found it to be a great kit. I will continue to built resin aircraft kits but I will be very selective as to what I build.

Des.