Author Topic: Post War NINAK PHEON Decals  (Read 3940 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Post War NINAK PHEON Decals
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 02:31:37 AM »
Hi Mark,

I'm about to start a WNW Post War Ninak in the same markings as your beautiful model.
Could you please tell me what paints you used for the fuselage light and dark blue colors?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Hi Eric:  I had to think about this one as it's been two years since I built that kit.  I can't believe it's been that long.  For the lighter blue I used Tamiya XF-18 Medium Blue and for the dark blue I used Humbrol #15 Gloss, for the silver I used Testors Model Master Metalizer non buffing Aluminum.  I tried pre shading but with aluminum the effort is lost and in photo's of the aircraft, I didn't notice any "Shading" between the ribs as the aluminum dope is quite opaque.   I know that Humbrol is hard to find in some Hobby Shops so there might be a Tamiya or Testors color that comes close.  In true PHEON fashion the decals go on nicely with no bleed through on the white areas.  I added a feature on the right side that interfered with the "JAN" that really didn't need to be there, I would leave it off.  Not sure what it was at the moment but you will see it in the instructions as an option. The NINAK is one of my favorite models.  I was really hoping that WNW would come out with a DH.4, but there seems to be a penchant for German Subjects lately as well as a Lancaster so I don't see a DH.4 on the Horizon.
I will be checking in from time to time to see how your build is coming along as it might get my WWI MOJO back. Lately I have been building Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster's and Monogram 1/48 B-24's which eat a lot of shelf space, but with no rigging, easy on the eyeballs.
Have fun with the kit, it's a great model.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline eclarson

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 02:55:21 AM »
Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for the info!  When I realized your post was a couple years old I was wondering if you'd remember. 
Tamiya XF-18 I have and I get Humbrol paints from my favorite online shop, Sprue Brothers. They're out of the #15 enamel version at the moment but do have some of the acrylic.
I prefer enamel but will be a while before I'm ready for it so hopefully they'll get a restock.  If not, I'll track some down elsewhere or as you suggested, find an alternative.

I bounce all over in my modeling eras too.  I'm currently working on the new Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV which is nearly ready for paint.  I had intended to get back to a Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-35 I'd briefly started before switching to the WNW Roland C.II for the forum's group build but I suddenly got the urge to do a Post-war NINAK!   I'll start a WIP thread once I get rolling on it.

Thanks again for the info and advice. 
Eric

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 10:25:45 AM »
I have seen some of your post WWI aircraft posts on FB.  Nice stuff.  I will probably return to the WWI side of the house soon, maybe I'll tackle that CSM Nie. 17.  Neat stuff.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline eclarson

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
I have seen some of your post WWI aircraft posts on FB.  Nice stuff.  I will probably return to the WWI side of the house soon, maybe I'll tackle that CSM Nie. 17.  Neat stuff.

Thank you!  The CSM Nieuport is a beauty.  I have the Late version and it's high on my to-do list.   

Eric

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »
The images do show up. And they depict a great modeling result. Very fine all around!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 02:19:00 AM »
Beautiful model, Mark. Very inspiring. Those outdoor photos look great, too.
Cheers,
Gary