Author Topic: Sopwith Pup, 1:72 HR Models  (Read 2450 times)

Offline IanB

Sopwith Pup, 1:72 HR Models
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:57:48 AM »
Well folks, another double build has come to an end with the completion of the Pup.
  The kit is not perfect. I corrected the shape of the wingtips but didn't bother with the rest of the wing corrections: The ribs are spaced slightly incorrectly, which means that with the tips reshaped, the ailerons are slightly too short. A perfectionist might want to remove all the rib detail and correct the aileron length, but she looks ok to my eyes, and the surface detail is nicely done so I decided to leave it.

The build log is here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8324.0

The subject will be familiar to WnW Pup fans, and TVAL fans also, as this is the scheme worn by their Pup. It represents N6205 of 3 (Naval) Sqn in Marieux, France, April 1917 as flown by FSLt J.S.T. Fall.

Joseph Stewart Temple Fall was a Canadian ace, credited with 36 kills, and honoured with the DSC (in May 1917) and 2 bars (both in December 1917), and the Air Force Cross (Jan 1919) for gallantry. He passed away in British Columbia in 1988 aged 93.

I hope you like her!

Ian

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Sopwith Pup, 1:72 HR Models
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »
Me, I like it very much, Ian! What a lovely little Betty
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:33 AM »
As with all of your builds Ian they could be in a much larger scale than the True Scale that you work in. You have made another remarkable model here - thanks too for the information on the corrections and modifications that you have carried out.

I am now looking forward to seeing the Ilya Mourumets returning to the table....

Stephen.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Gorgeous little Pup, Ian!  My favorite scheme!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
A great looking model with a very attractive scheme, you have done a superb job with this model Ian.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:50 AM »
Congratulations on a very fine Build Ian, it's a very nice example of what can be done with some of the older Kits, and along with the Tripe that kept pace with it during this double feature, will enhance your collection significantly. Great modelling!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
Wonderful modelling in such a small scale. Your Pup turned out - as your Tripe - to be a first class modell in every aspect!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »
Very nice pup! Something about the pup's design makes it look like it's always eager to jump right into the air and go flying!

Offline boggie

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:12:27 PM »
Another excellent result Ian.

Very well done.  :)

Offline ondra

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
I was following both of your builds very closely and I am glad to see the result does justice to the efforts you invested. Very nice little Pup, well done!

Cheers

Ondra

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »
I was following both of your builds very closely and I am glad to see the result does justice to the efforts you invested. Very nice little Pup, well done!

Cheers

Ondra

Like Ondra I followed along closely on both of your builds. I agree completely with what he has said! Beautiful results on your Pup!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davec

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Beautiful work - congratulations on finishing!

Dave