Author Topic: 1:48 Dragon Fokker D.VIII/Copper State Models Gnome 9N 160 HP Rotary  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Re: 1:48 Dragon Fokker D.VIII/Copper State Models Gnome 9N 160 HP Rotary
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 10:12:29 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

It's true, Frank, lots of E.V/D.VIII and F.K. 8 projects going on right now! I'm enjoying your stripped down version very much.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »
Almost there! rather long post today, lots has happened since my last post. Didn't quite complete for the end of July like I hoped, but I'm in the 95% range. on to the pictures!

First was mounting the horizontal stabilizer, and applying the stripes.

IMG_0355 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0354 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

The Aeromaster sheet also has a nice set of stripes for the wheels.

[
IMG_0353 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Once decals were dry, I set about mounting the landing gear and rudder, which really makes it start to look like an airplane! however, in hindsight I should have waited on the rudder and vertical stabilizer, as I ran into some issues with my clumsy fingers.

IMG_0374 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0376 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Usually I do not rig my models, as I generally end up damaging the model and getting frustrated. Seeing as this was a Fokker without much rigging to worry about, I figured it would be a good opportunity to practice. however, took a nice gouge out of the top of the rudder while drilling out the passages for the control cables and control horns in the horizontal stab. then, to add to the frustration, lost both the elevator horns to the carpet, never to be seen again. fortunately, I still had the PE from my dragon Dr. 1 and they were a very close fit.

Next, I worked on the engine and cowling. The Gnome 160 is a deeper engine than the Oberursel, so the cowling needed extending to fit properly. I cut a strip of evergreen sheet and started wrapping it around groove the cowling fit into.

IMG_0394 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0395 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

Then, I laid a strip inside the extension for the cowling for the cowl to sit on. Again hindsight is 20/20, and I should have used a thinner sheet of styrene for the inner ring, as now there was not enough room for my engine to rotate! Oh well. I am happy with how it looks at least.

IMG_0396 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0397 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0400 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0399 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0402 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

To get over the frustrations, I decided getting the wing and propeller mounted would cheer me up.

IMG_0404 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0407 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

IMG_0405 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr

all that remains is the control horns for the ailerons, rigging, data plate, paint touch-ups, and decals. So close! next posting will likely be in Completed Models.   

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 04:22:23 AM »
Excellent progress, Ian!  The end is in sight.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 06:27:05 AM »
Finally ready to close this one out. Including a finished picture here, and a threat with more finished pictures will be posted over in the Completed Models section. Thanks for following!

IMG_0435 by Ian Shippee, on Flickr