Author Topic: L'il sumpin' sumpin' on the side  (Read 16540 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: L'il sumpin' sumpin' on the side
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 02:05:08 AM »
Thanks Bud, the really colourful ones were usually trainers. That one is a beauty

Richard
As far as I know, there is only one photo of this pretty little kite, and it's very poor quality.

Although this photo is on page 7 of Data File 2, I pulled this one off the Rise of Flight forum.  It appears in a few other places on the internet, so I'm pretty sure I'm not violating any copyright laws here. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 02:08:46 AM »
Hey Bud, what a nice start. But it's the wrong scale, isn't it?  ;)
Andreas

Thanks, Andreas!  Shhhh.  Don't tell the 1/32 scale guys, but this is what I do when I want something easy.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 02:10:24 AM »
Terrific start Amigo! Looking great and the scheme should be awesome when complete!
RAGIII

Thanks, Amigo!  Those wee little stars should be fun to apply.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 02:20:23 AM »
Thanks, Matt!  Yup, it's the Pheon sheet.  Deviant that I am, I'll be deviating slightly from the scheme as laid out by Pheon.  Inspired by the night fighting Fees, I'll be doing the top wing in PC12.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
Nice start Bud. Internals seem to share with the Camel, characteristically Sopwith...?

Very interesting scheme... night fighting training... I hadn't realised it was that organised. Thought they just took good day fighting pilots and fed them up with carrots...?

Is this a Pheon sheet scheme?

Matt

Regarding Night Fighter Training, Matt, I suspect it wasn't "fighting training" per se; rather basic Night Flying Training as flight in the dark at that time was just in the inception phase. Looking at the instrument panels of these aircraft and the "bare bones" nature of the instruments available I shudder when I think of them flying in the dark, and more so in less then optimum visual flight conditions! They often write of penetrating thick layers of cloud or even scooting into it to shake off a pursuer...... brave fellows indeed!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:33 AM »
You're so right, Lance.  Considering powered flight was less than 11 years old when the first combat aircraft took to the air, all of these very young men were ballsy indeed.  Most of these "night fighter trainers" were actively engaged in home defense.  This aircraft, in this colorful scheme, was also with 39 and 44 Squadrons in the HD roll.

I've got the fuselage all closed up and will have some paint on her soon.

Cheers,
Bud

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 04:41:16 AM »
Looking good Bud, cannot wait for the stars to come out.   ;)

Bughunter

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »
Bud, thats damn good progress!
Really pitty to hide the nice cockpit details by closing the fuselage ::)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 11:31:23 AM »
   Great progress, Bud, and one of my favorite Kits! The scheme you've chosen is a real beauty, that Pheon Sheet offers just no end of spectacular schemes. For a "L'il sumpin on the side" this is pretty impressive! I know I'll enjoy following your progress on this little gem.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »
Bud, I found this great picture of one of these aircraft during one of its night flying training missions, as you can see the camouflage is very effective  :) :) ;) ;) :)

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 11:41:44 PM »
Excellent progress Bud! Looks like this one will be flying in no time at all!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Monty

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 05:06:09 AM »
A great looking build, Bud, with a very interesting colour scheme! Well done, I can't wait to see more! Regards, Marc

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »
Thanks, gents! 
You're right about that Pheon sheet, Lance.  I'm tempted to do another in the Union Jack scheme.
Des, I think I can spot it just low and left of center!  ;)

Pre-shaded the undersides.

Now to paint the CDL, mask it off and pre-shade the top.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »
Pre-shaded the upper surfaces and painted.

Cheers,
Bud

Online Borsos

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 04:33:00 AM »
Just beautifull, Bud. A real eyecatcher with the blue on, even without the stars!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.