Author Topic: Color-matching an old, out of production paint  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Iancshippee

Color-matching an old, out of production paint
« on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm trying to find a good match for my favorite PC-10 go-to. I bought a bottle of Floquil British Military Green 20+ years ago (it's still good, believe it or not! Last used it in March of this year!) and I have very little left, likely not even enough for 1 kit. I generally paint with enamel as it's what I'm used to, and I'm wondering if there's anything out there that matches it. I'm going to miss this one when it runs out!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Color-matching an old, out of production paint
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
I used to use Mr Color OD and Red Brown exclusively, but a couple years ago switched to the WNW call-outs for Humbrol and I love them.  They're enamel, so a bit slower drying than the Mr Color lacquers, but the colors are very nice.  For PC10 I use Humbrol 155 or 98 or a mox of both.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kuya

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

MR.PAINT is acrylic color designated for spray with an airbrush, a range of paints I have been using and love them

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:32:17 AM »
Personally I mix a new pc10 for each model. It varied so greatly in formulation back then as it was mixed in batches from pigments and solvent/dope making it stretch From brownish green to greenish greyish Brown. It degraded rapidly in uv exposure which seemed to fade the greenish character more than Brown's.  My philosophy is unless you are building a series of the same type planes factory fresh they would have all been noticeably different so I mix a batch that looks good for each build making extra so I don't run out and Mark which craft used which mix. Also sometimes if I have a bit left I sometimes add fresh stuff to an old mix. Plus I have never found a store bought color which looked perfect to me.