Author Topic: tension...  (Read 4366 times)

mike in calif

tension...
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
What are some ways to keep a reletive amount of tension on rigging, and structural wires? I have some EZ line, and some .006 thous. wire. I've started a DH-9a, and need to rig the rudder bars/ rudder wires together, as well as the structural wires for the frame. In studying the drawings, I see also a "skid control wire". Is the tail skid steerable?

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: tension...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »
I employ the monofilament, eyelet and brass tubing methodology for my rigging. I use a hemostat in my left hand to apply tension to the monofilament tail piece and apply a drop of superglue to the brass tubing with my right hand. Works like a charm.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:13 AM »
I use the same method as Chris, monofilament, eyelets, turnbuckles and small brass tube sleeves. This technique is quite easy to apply and the results are pleasing, please have a look at the link below for my rigging technique.

Some of the earlier aircraft had steerable tail skids.

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
Hi

I also use Des' technique, using eyelets, mono and brass sleeves.  This approach is best because:

1) EZ line does not rig to scale, it's a rubber band type of product (there is nothing easy about a product that varies in diameter depending upon the distance it's being stretched).

2) monofilament with eyelets and turnbuckles adds structural integrity to your build

Cheers
Steven Robson
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.