Author Topic: "The Rolling Crematory" - Schneider Ca 1, Berry-au-Bac, April 17 1917  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Borsos

I needed a break from aircraft modelling. And as already for a longer time I had thrown an eye on the great new WWI tank kits from Takom and Hobby Boss, I decided to build a tank; my first tank in 1/35.
I took the Schneider Ca 1 from Hobby Boss in its early configuration out of the shelf, that means with fuel tanks in front of the main fighting compartment, but already uparmoured. I used some resin accessories from Blast models and MR Models and replaced the extra armour with thin plasticcard. To recreate the nuts, I used a rubber mold from Greenstuffworld. The tanker that escaped from the burning tank is a conversion of a Meng figure with hornet head and ICM equipment. The groundwork is done with the extensive use of pigments that I bought from an art shop. That was the first time ever that I used pigments for modelling and it won't be the last time. Weathering of the vehicle was kept to a minimum, because they were new when used on April 17 in 1917. I concentrated on dirt and dust and added some fuel and oil stains. A welcomed side effect of this project was the reactivating of some of my school-French when I browsed several French forums to collect information about these tanks. Additionally I relied on the Osprey title "French tanks of WWI". I built a generic Schneider Tank of AS 2 with decals from Histopics.

The background of the small vignette is that in April 1917 the French started their famous attacks on Chemin des Dames. On April 17 they used tanks for the first time and contrary to the British they used them in masses of 132 chars. Although the terrain around Berry-au-Bac and Juvincourt was well suited for tank attacks the assault ended in a desaster for the new French tank arm, caused by strategic mistakes and the fact that German K-bullets were able to penetrate the armour of the Schneider tanks even when uparmoured with extra steel plates. Due to the fact that the fuel tanks of the Chars were placed in front of the vehicle next to the engine, even minor battle damage could cause the fuel to catch fire. "Rolling crematory" therefore became the cruel French nickname for the Schneider tanks. The crew member that was placed at the back of the tank had a chance to escape in case of fire, the crew members in front of the Char, including the driver-commander, had not...

Borsos
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:53:27 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
 Borsos,
Absolutely beautiful work my old friend.Congratulations and Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Edo

wow Borsos! you keep astonishing me!
this is a awesome job!
very well done indeed! The figure and the smoke are what chatches my eyes most, but all the vignette is superlative!
ciao
edo

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Another beauty Borsos, incredible job as usual.

Offline 53ryder

Well done! Interesting lessons learned as tanks were in their infancy.

Glenn

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much, Gregory, Edo, Juan and Glenn, for your nice comments!
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

Just found this Andreas - as usual you have produced an incredibly realistic, no holds barred vignette of the sheer horror of war and the terrible human price involved.

What I really admire is your attention to very small detail but at the same time you capture the realism and pathos of the scene. None of these are easy to achieve, but you seem to manage to do so every time. Congratulations.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much for your very nice and encouraging words, Stephen!
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Wow, Andreas
an other masterpiece made by you. You are a real Jack-of-all-trades.
Great.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Borsos

Thank you Manni,
I rather see myself as an amateur who wants to dance on several parties...
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.