Author Topic: Albatross triple set coming from WNW  (Read 12683 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Albatross triple set coming from WNW
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 09:43:51 AM »
I would also agree that painting is the best way to go. Decals can be rather fussy.

Also, I have inspected many period photos of Albatross D.v series and have failed to notice any lines of nails along the wood panels. I have seen models with that feature and there may have been aircraft so constructed but I think lines of nails are not obvious on most Albatros D.V and D.Va planes.

I had no issues with the interplane struts on my D.Va kit. Was this an issue for others?

The nails are there and visible in some close up photos. Whether they belong in scale is up to you. As for the struts I also had no problems with either of my DV/DVa builds. That being said some had what was called Banana Strut issues.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Russell

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 05:02:20 PM »
The banana strut issue has been discussed in detail in other threads - with some novel preventative solutions.

It's likely a case of the relatively scale size struts being fairly close to the point of not being strong enough hence slight differences in rigging tension, temperature & perhaps even styrene batch mix can just tip them over the edge whist other people don't get a problem.

I'd welcome a set of photo-etch brackets being made available to which 'squashed' brass tube could be added - similar to the solution Bo developed. A 3D printed jig to hold things in position for assembly would greatly ease the job - hint - Bo  ;)

Another option would be a set of wire reinforced resin struts - Richard perhaps? ;)

Regards
Russell

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
Did anyone get their original Albies with the struts "bent" already in the package?  I seem to remember that..

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »
The banana strut issue has been discussed in detail in other threads - with some novel preventative solutions.

I'd like to know more. I did a forum search here for posts with the words "Albatros" and "strut". I got a bit over 200 hits. There were two that mentioned strut problems, bending, etc. but they concerned Eduard and Roden kits. Could you, or anyone, direct me to some of the threads discussing this issue with Wingnut Wings Albatros? Since I plan to buy one of these new kits, it would be helpful to know more about any potential strut problems.

Thanks.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Online petrov27

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
Interested here as well on more about the strut issue - I tried searching on "banana" and got some hits but not specific to any WNW Albatros build....
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
   IIRC the dreaded "Banana Strut" Condition discussion was started by a member who requested that a lot of his posts be removed due to potential for infringement on his Business interests. I suspect that, as a result, most of the discussion on the topic has disappeared. Des should be able to shed further light on that.
    I have only built one WNW Albatros to date,  and several months after completion noticed that the forward cabane on one side had "bowed" slightly, not a lot but noticeable. Now, almost 5 years later it's still there but thankfully no worse then originally. I plan on at least two more Builds and will be extra careful with strut alignment and rigging tension to prevent a recurrence.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Russell

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2017, 05:15:17 AM »
The main 'banana strut' discussion was part of the thread Bo had for his build of that glorious Albatros D.V.

Basically Bo ended up casting new wire reinforced undercarriage legs & making the other various struts from slightly squashed brass tube with his own photo-etch brackets at the ends.

Steven Robson (of spoked wheel fame) went the way of cutting a groove in the struts & gluing in a reinforcing wire.

Offline maddog

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
In a similar vein, when attaching the lower wings to my OAW yesterday a very bad case of anhedral resulted. A previous build had no such problem. Anybody else seen this?

Cheers.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Am I right in thinking that 'Bo' is no longer a member of this forum?

Tell me I'm wrong.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Russell

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
Am I right in thinking that 'Bo' is no longer a member of this forum?

Tell me I'm wrong.

vB

Happily it's just a shift over to his 'Flugzeugwerke' ID

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
Good!

;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 03:12:02 AM »
In regards to the red edging dilemma ,restore makes these model paint markets with a felt nib. It worked good on my 1/48 von hippel blitz. I couldn't get deep in the corners though so I extracted some paint and used a brush on that and it turned out really wel

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 03:44:54 AM »
Regarding the red edge on the tail feathers, I believe I saw somewhere (I say "I believe" Because it may have been a dream or something) that Pheon are going to reprint the tail feather edge decals.

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 04:29:16 AM »
I would think that a Pheon reprint would have no problem selling, not only for the new Triple owners, but also for those who have the previous D.V/Va releases. It would be nice if they included edging for the D.III, as well.

Online macsporran

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »
As petrov mentioned above, FCM offer pre-cut masks for Jasta 5 in their decal sets 32015 and 32016. Nice decals, low cost. Can copy the masks for multiple use. Problem solved for me at least.
S