Author Topic: Richthofen film  (Read 1314 times)

Offline macsporran

Richthofen film
« on: August 10, 2023, 09:11:49 PM »

Apologies if this has been posted before but it's new to me: link posted today over on a WWI fb site.
Reportedly Anthony Fokker's film, no sound unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feP-__ZoxtQ

Lots of things worth noting - I've never seen Voss on movie film before. Goering is a really evil looking cove even smiling even back then! I always thought MvR was wearing a chin strap for his cap in the still pictures, but here I see it's a bandage for the wound dressing on the back of his head.

Wonder if Peter Jackson could be persuaded to run this footage through his 'cleaning up software'?
Sandy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 12:15:43 AM by macsporran »

Offline DaddyO

Re: Richthofen film
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 11:35:22 PM »
Nice find Sandy (I, for one haven't seen it before)

Cheers
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 03:15:52 AM »
I believe it's the same reel as this; used to be linked here somewhere but the post seems to have vanished. 

https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/578445

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 03:37:40 AM »
I believe it's the same reel as this; used to be linked here somewhere but the post seems to have vanished. 

That's apparently only 15mins although certainly includes a little of the YouTube footage which extends over 40 minutes.
S

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 04:52:09 AM »

That's apparently only 15mins although certainly includes a little of the YouTube footage which extends over 40 minutes.
S

Yeah, there is/was a second part of the Fokker film somewhere, although I couldn't find it. Anyway, search 1914-1918 on that site for some great stuff.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 05:42:30 AM »
.... meanwhile, back on this thread, the YouTube footage is superb, do have a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feP-__ZoxtQ

Sandy
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 05:16:54 PM by macsporran »

Offline MikeH

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 09:39:21 AM »
There is a follow up to this with a talk explaining who everybody is on utube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APMJ_D26D5c

Also of great interest is a very rare shot of a Fokker D VI taking off at 18:46.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 09:56:43 PM »
There is a follow up to this with a talk explaining who everybody is on utube.
Also of great interest is a very rare shot of a Fokker D VI taking off at 18:46.

Good shout out, Mike. A lot of the background info - eg the train journey, etc added a lot to the silent film, for me.
But, oh, by the end I was shouting at the screen to stop mispronouncing Fokker's name as Foaker!!! Also the full americanisation of Werner Voss - rather than the phonetic Verner Foss it should sound like.
And his claims for the 'Foaker' D.VI are a bit wild, it was never a better aircraft than the D.VII.
Lot of good stuff though.
Sandy

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
The way Americans pronounce Fokker frustrates me no end - even Kermit Weeks says it that way - and for years I wondered if I was the one in the wrong!!
Zac in NZ

Offline MikeH

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 01:47:46 AM »
I can't agree more with you both. Americanisation of German words and names just makes me cringe.   ::) ::)