Author Topic: WNW Albatros B. II 1916 w. Aviattic linnen  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Twowingwilly

Re: WNW Albatros B. II 1916 w. Aviattic linnen
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
The medal is well deserved! Your model is a true masterpiece - I love the shading and the paintwork. Congratulations!
Very nice Albatros!  I have been considering using the Aviattic linen decals.  How did you go about applying them? Base coat, then one piece for each wing? Do they adhere well?

Offline Borsos

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »
Lance, igi70, Filip, Edo, Willy, thank you very much!
I painted the wing (wooden brown, then penciled ribs, thin coats of linnen color, I use Mr. Color), then added the decal and postshaded it. I didn't use Future under the decals, which I would nevertheless recommend. Last step is a coat of dull clear (I used Alclad II clear here that is very dull but doesn't get whiteish). And yes, I used one single piece of decal for the wings. The Aviattic decals are quite robust and don't at all tend to brittle or disintegrate in water as decals of some other manufacturers do. They are quite flexible.  But you need a good decal setting solution,  I used Tamiya's strong decal setter which is stronger then my normally used Mr Softener. If I had had the Daco stuff, I think I had even gone with this.
But as said before, I would recommend a glossy finish before applying the Aviattic decals as they sometimes tend to silvering.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »
Gloss white undercoat is stated very clearly in the instructions. Cut as close to finished size as possible before applying as when wet they really don't like being trimmed...

Best wishes, Richard

Of course... Normally I give all decals a coat of gloss before applying them. This time lazyness got me in its claws. Was my own fault  ::)

Regarding trimming I went another way: I cut the decal about 0.5 to 1 cm too large (the bigger the Wing the more difficult to trim before applying the decal in my opinion). After that I left it to dry completely and even added decal softener then. Let it dry again. Then I cut the decal with a new razor blade exactly along the wing's contours. Went perfectly that way. I even overdecalled the wooden cover over the left lower wing. When it was dried, I cut along its shape and carefully removed the rest of the decal with some pliers. Perfect edges were the result.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
Such an outstanding result bespeaks serious modeling skills. Congratulations on being awarded the medal. Well deserved. In my opinion this is one of Wingnut Wings' better models in that it showcases the state of aircraft development early in the war. Yours is a fine example.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.