Forum Archive Storage > WW1 Diorama Group Build

S.e.5a's - No 74 'Tiger' Squadron, Clairmarais 1918 (1/32) Completed

(1/13) > >>

kkarlsen:
My contribution to the diorama GB is inspired by the film 'Aces High' (1976 tv movie) I have always wanted to do a S.e.5a diorama. And I think the film catches the atmosphere of the RFC during WWI!  Although the 'Aces High' film is showing it's age today, it stayed with me and did make a lasting impression on me. So I'm picking up the challenge, trying getting this project come to life...

No 74 Squadron, Clairmarais, France, summer 1918 (Keith 'Grid' Caldwell in shorts)

Some time ago I came across this photo and the story of No 74 Squadron. The story of this Squadron, also called 'Tiger' Squadron is truly remarkable. With a lot of catching story's of some of the allied flying heroes of WWI.
I havent' yet decided exactly which planes I will end up doing, because the Squadron had so many 'character' that it takes your breath away! But the Squadron commander the New Zealander Keith 'Grid' Caldwell's plane will surely be part of it...

Long story short, here's an excerpt from Wikipedia regarding No 74 'Tiger' Squadron:

"During its wartime service, it was credited with 140 enemy planes destroyed and 85 driven down out of control, for 225 victories. Seventeen aces had served in the squadron, including Victoria Cross winner Major Edward Mannock, Ira "Taffy" Jones, Benjamin Roxburgh-Smith, future Air Commodore Keith Caldwell, Andrew Kiddie, Frederick Stanley Gordon, Sydney Carlin, Frederick Hunt, Clive Glynn, George Hicks, Wilfred Ernest Young, Henry Dolan, Harris Clements, George Gauld, and Frederick Luff."

My plan for this diorama is to build three S.e5a's 1/32 to get something of a squadron feel + Crossley tender/trailer.

This is as far as I've gotten, working on the three S.e.5a's...

Kit fuselages with replaced interior frames and wires...

Wings primed, kit fuellines replaced with brass wires...

Instrument panels and seats...

An extra experiment using real wood for the panel + Eduard instruments, a scratch build magneto, copper wire, brass tube and a scratch build Creagh-Osborne compass...

Doug Mace:
Fantastic, kk....beautiful beginnings...this is going to be a marvelous dio! Are you going to work Mannock's ship into the mix?

lcarroll:
Great "theme" for a Diorama and huge undertaking; I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this thread!
Cheers,
Lance

lone modeller:
This is a very large undertaking considering the time left. I still think that it is a great idea and am looking forward to seeing more. You have made a super start - the idea of using real wood is great.

Stephen.

Juan:
Outstanding start, I am sure this will be a great looking diorama.  Love what you have done thus far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version