Author Topic: 1/48 vehicles and other accessories for dioramas?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline [email protected]

1/48 vehicles and other accessories for dioramas?
« on: October 22, 2020, 02:24:54 AM »
When I decided to go for 1/48 as a compromise between space and detail I didn't stop to think about how I could dress up the dioramas that I'd end up wanting to do.  Since then I've (quite accidentally) stocked up on 1/48 British WW1 kites and now (other than several different versions of 1917 Model-T ambulances and railway rolling stock) I can't find much in the way of cars, trucks, motorcycles, carts or other accessories.  I've found a few RFC figures, which is a good start, but can anyone point me in the direction of a source or two, please?

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Re: 1/48 vehicles and other accessories for dioramas?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:36:56 AM »
Ah, I was just about to mention RPM's variations on a theme of the Ford Model T in 1/48, but I assume those are the exact ones you've found.
(Have you spotted that Toro Model - Polish resin producer - make driver figures for those ambulances?)
1/72 seems best served for vehicles etc suitable for vignettes/dioramas, especially if you don't mind resin.
And in 1/32 you have some choices if you're okay with the 1/35 compromise. Aviattic and Copper State have a few very nice items in 1/32 of course.
But 1/48 has been largely bypassed as far as I'm aware, despite being a favoured scale for WWI modellers.
I don't really know, maybe there just aren't enough WWI airfield scene modellers to justify some vehicle kits. Anyone?

Cheers
Mark

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:54:44 AM »
Have you tried to search at https://scalemates.com ?
There is also a huge kit database included, which you can filter (on the right side) for scale, category and so on. You may find also sources at the specific kit page.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline [email protected]

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:40:55 PM »
@Bughunter and @Bluesfan, thanks for the responses.  I've looked on scalemates previously and come up with a blank. 
One avenue I'm looking at is the old Matchbox 'Yesteryear' die-cast models, which are marked as 1/48 and have a few early examples that could be made to fit the vignettes I have in mind--roughly analogous to the cliched 1940 RAF pilot pulling up alongside his Spit in an old MG!  These obviously aren't oozing with accuracy and will need a bit of attention, but the main purpose for me will be to set-off the aircraft. 
The search continues!